Chapter 42- Leave

Michonne gave him and I a questioning look.

"Who are you?" I questioned the man with hair covering most of his face.

He wiped back some of the hair on his face. "It's me, George!"

"That's you?!" I asked. "I thought I was talking to Chewbacca!!" I joked.

"Very funny... Hey, listen man. You got some sort of camp or somethin'?" He asked.

Michonne and I gave each other a look.

"We better talk to Rick, first." I said.

"Agreed." Michonne added.

"We gotta pat you down, too. Protocol." I told George.

"I understand." He raised his hands and spread his feet apart.

I pat each part of his body, looking for weapons. There were none. I ripped his bag off his back and searched through it for weapons. None.

It didn't make any sense, how could he not have any weapons? I resulted to rummaging his pockets. Still nothing.

"Why don't you have any weapons?!" I asked.

"What?" He asked with his hands still up.

"Get down on your knees." I pushed him down.

"What the hell, Jake?" He said.

"Michonne, get Rick, please." I said.

She ran off to Rick and about a minute later, he came running towards me.

"I don't like this, Jake. We should've just left." He told me.

"Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin'. He doesn't have any weapons." I told him.

"What?" He questioned as he walked up to George.

He was about to search him when I stopped him. "He doesn't have any. I checked. It's weird. Hell, I even checked his pockets to see of I missed anything. Nothing."

Rick eyed, George. "We should probably get going then. Grab his bag."

"Wait, Rick. I need to tell you something."

He raised his eyebrow. "Yeah?"

"He was with Woodbury. He's the guy I was telling you about that saved me. I'm not disagreeing with you, but he's from Woodbury. Just a caution."

"Thank you for telling me, but we're leaving. He doesn't have any weapons. It's obvious he's still part of a group." Rick swooped down and grabbed George's orange bag.

He started walking back to the car and I followed, still aiming my gun at George.

"So, you left Woodbury for these pricks, huh?" George yelled. "That girl's gonna be the first one to go when we get to the prison. Then the boy. Then Rick. Kill everyone you and Andrea love, save you two for last."

"What'd you just say?!" I asked.

"You heard me." He smiled.

I ran up to him and pistol-whipped him in the face. I took my knife out when Rick stopped me.

"Jake! Walkers!" Rick yelled.

I looked up to a few walkers making their way towards the passed out George and I. I stabbed George's hand, which jolted him awake, and ran back towards the car.

I hopped into the back and we sped away as we heard the cries of George, begging for mercy.

Michonne sat in the back with me, leaving Rick and Carl to sit in the front.

"Jake, you can't do that again." Michonne told me.

I pondered for a second as I looked again to the trees we passed. "I know."

I had my hand sitting in between Michonne and I on the seat. Michonne placed her hand inside of mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. I looked up to her and returned it, smiling at the warming sensation that swam through my body once again.

We broke the hand-hug and sat in silence pretty much the whole way to our destination.

We eventually pulled up to an old sheriff's department. The sign read "King County Sheriff's Department".

"Sure we'll be able to get in?" I asked Rick.

"Yeah, I came her before. When it all started. I had the key, I was the sheriff in town." He smiled. "Should still be some thangs in here."

We walked in with our weapons raised, well, Michonne had her sword on her back, but she was still in ready position.

"You two go over there," Rick pointed to the right, "Carl and I will go over there." He pointed the left. "When you're good, come back here and we'll go to the armory."

I nodded and Michonne and I made our way to the area where Rick pointed.

When we were "far enough", Michonne and I started talking.

"Jake, I don't want you to get attached to me like that... If you say something like that, I want you to mean it. But, you're going through a tough time, you latch on to anything after that. That's how I was when..." She looked to the ground. "It doesn't matter. Look, I just, I know how it feels to want to fill that hole again. It's like something's... Missing. That's why I latched on to Andrea so quickly."

"I do care about you." I told her, honestly.

"Jake, I know you're-" I cut her off.

"I do care about you. There's just something about you. I felt it when I first seen you, but I just blocked it out. Thinking back, I know I felt it, but I didn't feel it then because I had Amy."

"Jake... Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I think so. Amy left me a note..."

We continued walking in silence.
There were no living walkers around, only dead ones and bullet casings.

"What did the note say?" Michonne asked after a long pause.

"She would wait for me, she couldn't take this world, it was pretty much The Governors fault for her to... Ya know, and one of the last things she said was, she wanted me to be happy if I could be without her. She wanted me to live. She wanted me happy in a miserable world like this." I told her.

"Are you sure you want this, this quick?" She asked.

"She would say, 'The sooner you know you'll be happy, the better.' So, yeah." I smiled.

Michonne nodded and smiled.

"You two good?" Rick hollered at us.

"Yeah! Just dead ones! And lots of bullet casings!" I replied, never taking my eyes off of Michonne.

"Us too!" Rick said.

"We should probably get back." I told Michonne.

"Yeah." She nodded and we made our way back to Rick and Carl.