Chapter 29- It

Jake's POV
"Hello." I said.

"Y'all can call me The Governor." He told us.

"The Governor?" I asked.

"Yeah, people gave me it as a nickname. It stuck. President didn't sound right." He chuckled.

"You got others here?" George asked.

"Over seventy." He told us. "Martinez!" He yelled.

A hispanic man jogged over to us. "Yeah?" He asked The Governor.

"Show these boys around." He told him.

"Yes sir." He acknowledged.

We took a tour of the town, as best we could since it was night time, and apparently there were curfews.

"You guys can share this room." He led us to a room with two twin beds with food crowding the table and clothes folded on the bed. "Go easy on the hot water."

George's eyes lit up. "Oh my god. This place is amazing!"

"You two should head to bed now." Martinez said as he exited the room.

George and I feasted on the food as we took turns showering. We changed into fresh clothes and quickly drifted off to sleep.

We woke up in what seemed to be the afternoon.

"That's the best night's sleep I've gotten in a while." George said as he stretched.

"Yeah." I added.

"You don't talk much, do you?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Not really."

He nodded as The Governor knocked on the door and came in.

"Hey you two, I want to talk to y'all, over breakfast. Follow me." He said and we followed.

We sat down at a round table with The Governor and a geeky looking guy with glasses.

"Hi, I'm Milton." He introduced himself.

"Jake and George." I introduced.

The Governor scooped some eggs onto our plates and sat down as we started to eat.

"So, you got a group?" The Governor.

"We had one, but they were a bunch'a sick fucks. They were gonna chop his limbs off and eat them!" George told him.

"Where are they now?"

"Walmart, if they stayed. We took their car and some supplies."

"I see. You two any good with weapons?" He asked.

"Yeah, I hunted all the time before this. Gun and bow." I told him.

"Good, we have an extra bow you can use. How about you, George?"

"I'm okay with a gun." George told him.

"Alright, Jake, you can take watch tonight with the other guys. George, you can now, this is when our more skilled soldiers guard the walls."

"What do you want me to do now?" I asked.

"Martinez can show you around, show you the bow. We got a fine library and plenty of beautiful girls."

"Alright." I replied as we all finished our breakfast, girls were the last thing I wanted, but it couldn't hurt to read some books.

Martinez showed me the bow. It was a Bear Crux. It had all the attachments I could ever want and more! I practiced with it three times and got in the same general direction each time.