Chapter 12: Signs

"Hey shit. That potato is mine!" Juvia exclaimed as she snatched the potato-looking pillow from Levy.

The wide mattress was spread across the floor, pillows with different shapes scattered everywhere, TV turned on in front with box full of movie CDs prepared, and a huge bowl of popcorn, plates of chips, and softdrinks at the corner; this easily became the best night I've ever had.

"But I touched it first!!"

Catching a look from the near mirror, a small smile forced its way on my lips as I stared at myself, wearing a white onesie pajama. Its hood had two black circle dots acting as eyes and orange drill-like nose.

"Nooo!! Gimme my potato, Levy!"

Levy had herself in an all-black onesie with an ears like those of a panther's, and two half-circles as its eyes. While Juvia was enjoying herself wearing her customized teru teru bozu inspired slumber outfit. She's like wearing a long white dress that reached below her knees, and with hood.

"Then give me that banana pillow!"

"No! It's mine, too!"

I watched them, giggling at the corner. I was homeschooled since preschool. But when Mama died, instead to be my strength as my remaining family, Papa chose to isolate himself and left me alone. That's when I had decided to go to school, and he agreed with no care.

And the love that I should have been getting from home, was given by someone I wasn't even sharing the same name with.

They say, blood is thicker than water. Sadly, the water was the one relieving my thirst. It was the one keeping me much more alive than my own blood.

My friends were my only shoulders. And I'm really grateful having them with me.

"I've missed you, guys," I suddenly blurted out in the middle of their fight over a damn banana and potato.

Silence stepped in between us as we looked at each other. As if having the same mind, they both let out a squeal of embarassment as they hid their blushing faces, while I fell on the mattress face-flat.

"AHHH! I can't! Don't say that again, Lu-chan!"

"It's too cheesy!"

Gah. Those two...!

Pulling myself back up, I only shook my head with a smirk as I approached the DVD player. I just grabbed a random movie because I know, it would only be disregarded later when the they decided to hear the details they had been waiting for from me.

After picking up the bowl of popcorn, I went back to our bed, put a pillow against the wall, and leaned against it. Juvia turned off the lights, while Levy grabbed the remote, before slumping themselves on either of my side.

"Spill," Levy said, eyes were fixated at the movie started playing.

"The popcorn?"

"Idiot."

"Thanks," I rolled my eyes as I threw a popcorn in my mouth. "The show is barely starting, Levy-chan."

"So what? I'm more interested in your story."

I laughed. "Then why bother watching movies?!"

"For background sound," Juvia butted in, more focused on the chips. I shook my head in disbelief. Seriously...

But then, the curve of my lips slowly flattened as I started narrating them everything. The swarm of memories replayed in my head all at once, fresh and overflowing. From the day he saved me, our wedding, first day living together... It felt as if it all happened only yesterday.