Chapter 33: Chase

A/N: this is both an apology for the super slow update before, and a thank you for another achievement! Hoho, I might also drop another chapter tomorrow~

"Natsu!"

We bowed to hide behind the kitchen island. I closed my eyes, muttering curses when the glasses and things behind us shattered into pieces as the gunshots continued. The smell of gunpowder hurt my nose.

"Let's go!" Natsu exclaimed in a whisper when the firing stopped for a second, forcing me to keep up with him as we ran out of the back door.

"Where are we going?!"

"Garage!"

What?! What if enemies were waiting for us at the front yard? We have no way out!

Even with hesitation, I chose to trust Natsu. A squeal slipped pass my lips when we almost got hit by a bullet coming from behind. But this time, he's not alone! He had an ally and they continued firing as we ran, Natsu's hold on my hand tightened.

When I glanced at him, worry consumed me at the sight of pain etched on his face. "W-What's wrong?"

He bit his lip, shaking his head. "Nothing. Just keep going."

Darkness greeted us when we reached our destination. Not wasting any second, we forced our way to his car. Our heavy breaths filled our ears as Natsu turned the engine on. I put on my seatbelt, already seeing myself playing with death in the future.

This will be a huge chase down!

"Is this bulletproof, Natsu?"

"No."

Oh my god.

"Let's get married after this, Natsu."

"Okay."

One full step on the accelerator, I found myself holding my breath as the car bursted out of the garage, and faced countless of bullets coming to our way.

"Get down, Lucy!" I did what I was told. I hid behind the dashboard as few bullets pierced through our windshield. Natsu took a sudden drift, before accelerating forward. We finally managed to run away!

"N-Natsu..."

"I'm fine." He's not. The side of his face had a long cut and bleeding. Wait, don't tell me it was graced by a bullet?! "Keep your guards high. They're chasing us."

We both looked at the rear view mirror, seeing two black cars tailing us. I gasped when someone went out of their windows, aiming for our tires.

"Shit--Natsu!"

"Leave this to me!"

I gripped tightly on the side of the car and my seatbelt. My eyes widened as Natsu tried to avoid the bullets by driving in zigzag direction. But what made my heart drop was when we reached the sloped way, causing our speed to increase more as we drove down.

However, instead to get a hold of the break, Natsu even matched it with full acceleration that made me feel like I was riding a roller coaster! What the hell? He's even more of a reckless driver than Erza!!!

I know we're running for our life, but this would also bring us to our graves!!!

"Natsu. I'm trusting my life to you!" My breath was already missing when we reached the highway. I thought we're already safe, without knowing that it would be more dangerous than earlier. "P-Please remember that we're now in the main highway..."

There are other vehicles around!!! We can't find ourselves in an accident! And we can't involve innocent people in this chase either!

What did those guys need from us, anyway?!