INTERLUDE: Behind the Shadows

There he was, behind the shadows.

From where he was standing, he could clearly see the tears on her face. And it broke him into a million pieces, more than how he shattered when he realized that they needed to be apart for God knows how long.

Even before the sun set, he was already there. Waiting in their meeting place. For the last time, he wanted to see her. Just watch her. From afar, without her knowing.

And after of almost five hours of waiting, she finally arrived. His heart leapt, higher than anyone could ever imagine. But then, as much as he wanted to greet her and imprison her in his warm embrace, he held himself back. Clenching his fist, he just stayed there in the dark.

He was contented watching her...behind the shadows.

Golden leaves, almost red, rained her endlessly. At this moment, he found her pretty. No, maybe beautiful. Gorgeous, even. She was the greatest that came into his life. She was his only treasure.

But nothing's permanent.

The happiness that was swirling in his chest after seeing her had now gone, being replaced by torment as he watched pain cover her face, still waiting for someone who had no intention of showing himself.

Time flew by, and she needed to leave. She stood up, looked up in the sky, and closed her eyes. Tears fell, reflecting the every shine of the fireworks.

And an unending ache coursed through him when his eyes caught that little reflection of light that fell from her hand before she walked away.

Her wedding ring, the one that had been planned to be forgotten.