Chapter 35: Memories

"Good morning, Papa," I greeted as I took a seat on the chair next to his hospital bed. The steady beep of the small monitor was all I received. I forced a smile, watching the peace visible on his face. He looked like he's just sleeping...

But it's been one month.

One month has already passed, yet he's still lying there. As the days grew older, the pain in my chest was becoming hard to ignore. I was trying my best to stay strong, but I couldn't help it.

Still, I will wait.

Capricorn had also suffered as he was also shot, but he's doing fine now. While my father... He was shot twice...near the area of his heart. It's a miracle that he managed to survive. He was fighting to survive.

I was always reminding myself that he has a strong will to live, the reason why he's still here. With me. He just need a rest, and then he'll look at me again.

"It's my birthday..." I looked down at my hands that were resting on my lap. "Like always, I can't get a proper greetings from you. But today, I can't get even a simple text message. It's..."

I bit my lower lip when it trembled. To prevent a tear from falling, I looked up as I took in heavy breaths. "...so unfair."

Life has never been fair, anyway.

"When will you wake up?" Using the back of my hand, I wiped the tear that managed to slip my eye. "It will be soon, right?"

For the past month, I've been visiting him every morning before I go to office, and every night before I go home from work. Currently, I'm the one managing the company with the help of Mr. Crux, while Selene and Spetto are the ones taking care of Papa.

I was always making sure that I wouldn't miss a single day to see him. I want to make sure that I'd be here when he wakes up. Although I know it's impossible because of my responsibilities, but still...

"By the way, the project is now ongoing. Its skeletal structure is already standing!" Swallowing the lump in my throat, I tried to sound cheerful. "And I know it will be great when it's finished!"

I was visiting the place only once or twice a week to see the progress of the resthouse. It's been going smooth, and I think it will be finished earlier than our target date. Jellal and his team are so hands on, so it's expected.

Knock knock! I turned to see Selene opening the door. She gave me a smile. "Are you going now? You can leave your father to me."

I stared at her. She's always been here for my father, despite of the heartaches. She never left his side. "Thank you...for all the sacrifices for this family, Selene."

"Eh? Where did that come from?" she looked away to put her bag on the sofa. I don't know. I just felt the need to say that. "Of course. Taking care of you is my job as his wife and...your mother..."

An ache crossed my heart at the sound of her small voice. "T-Thank you, Mom. But it feels like...we don't deserve you. Are you even happy?"

Just imagining myself in her position...

What if it's Natsu who loved someone else, and he just married me because he needed to. For their daughter? That surely...hurts. A lot. I couldn't even imagine him looking at me, but other woman was the one in his mind and heart.

It's one of those tragic stories I will never handle.

But Selene... She's coping with it.

"More than happy!" She turned to me with a bright smile, cheeks had a shade of pink. "I know I won't ever replace Layla, but being accepted in this family is more than enough. This is my choice. This is what I want. I never regretted it."