Chapter 25: Illusion

Time heals everything, they say.
Acceptance and freeing oneself from the past are what also help them to move on.
But in her case, the time only made her wound deeper like a tree growing its roots as the years passed by. Acceptance and Freedom are also far from her reach as there's still one important thing missing...
Closure.

LUCY HEARTFILIA

"Start a new life, Lucy..."

My fingers stopped from typing as I heard Papa's voice in my head. Our last night raw soon replayed. It isn't so serious, though. Just a normal father-daughter debate. He's just asking for a grandchildren, tsk!

"Is she still here?"

That voice outside my office's door had me massaging my temple. What time is it? Past seven in the evening. I've been working my ass off the whole day, and now I still need to face another headache.

"W-Wait, Ma'am! Ms. Heartfilia strictly said--"

The sound of the door bursting open made me lift my eyes to throw glares at my visitor. Her green eyes remained the same, though. Cold and full of sarcasm. She flipped her green short hair before walking over the near couch, slumping herself before grabbing the apple on the center table and took a huge bite.

"M-Ms. Heartfilia, I--"

I glanced at my secretary standing by the door, and gave her a smile. "It's okay, Lyra. Leave her to me. And you can go home."

"T-Thank you, Ma'am!"

When the door closed, my uninvited visitor's voice echoed with a mocking tone. "What the hell's taking you so long, madame?"

Damn this woman... I sighed in defeat, leaning against the swivel chair as I dropped my gaze back on my laptop. Papa had sent me the initial plan for the renovation of our resthouse in Fiore. It was so sudden as it had only crossed his mind the other day, according to him, and mentioned it to me through the last night's call, making me smell something so fishy.

Well, everything he does is fishy, so nothing's new. Tch.

"I'm already tired, Brandish. Give me a break, please," I blinked when I saw my name as the one who will supervise the renovation. "And stop calling me madame. I feel so old..." Wait, what?! Me?!!

"Aren't you? You're already twenty-five."

I glared at her. "As if you're not!"

"And you know, I'm just your personal assistant but you should also treat me nicely."

"I am treating you nicely. You're the bad girl here, for your information," my eyes went back to the screen, scanning the names of possible people I'll be working with. Wait, this doesn't mean I'll accept the job, okay?! I don't want to go back there!

I'm already fine here...

"Then why did you make me wait for three fucking hours at the basement when you should've informed me that you're taking an overtime! I've honestly thought you already went home without me noticing," Brandish whined, the sound of her bite on the apple made me look at her again. "And thanks for the compliment."

"That's not a compliment."

She only gave me a smirk and crossed her legs, her elbow rested on the backrest while her other arm stretched out to get the magazine her eyes had caught under the center table.

And heat quickly gathered in my cheeks as I realized what magazine that was. The woman with her silver short hair appeared in my head, giving me a smirk. Shit-