Chapter Seventy Six

Catherine had to admit she was impressed by Sharon's hustle as they walked into the highly guarded house. It was gorgeous, modern and she had no idea how Sharon was able to afford it. Correction. She didn't want to know. There were hardly any laws in Madripoor so she could be selling drugs for all they knew. And then she noticed the artwork. She was selling stolen art work. She was impressed. The art work business could be dangerous.

They followed her past the exhibits and further into the house where she assumed Sharon lived. They were instructed to change since she would be hosting clients in a few hours. Catherine rummaged through the clothes, wondering how the hell or who the hell the clothes were from. She finally settled on a pair of faux leather skinny pants, with a black shirt tucked in and a grey plaid blazer thrown over it.

She went back into the room she assumed was the living room. She stopped when she saw Bucky leaned back on the couch with his dark pants, black shirt with a black suit jacket thrown over it. Holy fucking shit. If she wasn't so mad at him or in a room full of people, the things she would do to him. She sat opposite of him on the couch, trying her best not to gape at him.

"Look, you know the whole hero thing is a joke, right? The way you gave up that shield, deep down, you must know it's all hypocrisy." She heard Sharon say. A joke. She thought what they did was a joke. She had no idea what it was like to be an Avenger.

"He knows." Zemo said. "And not so deep down."

"By the way, how is the new Cap?" Sharon asked.

"Don't get me started." Bucky said annoyed.

"Please. You buy into all that stars and stripes bullshit. Before you were his pet psychopath, you were Mr. America! Cap's best friend." Sharon shot at Bucky.

"Wow. She's kind of awful now." Bucky said.

Sharon looked over at Catherine. "Cat, you're being unnaturally quiet. I mean, we all know how you feel about being a hero though. You were part of the original Avengers."

Catherine drew a breath in, knowing she was going to explode at any second. "I'm going to get some air."

She stood up and walked outside. She knew Sharon was upset, but it gave her no right to talk to her that way. She tried to get everyone pardoned. And she knew being a 'hero' wasn't always what it was made out to be.

"Cat!" She heard Sam yell. "Hey, where are you going?"

"Home."

Sam looked at her confused. "Home. Why?"

"Because, I don't belong here Sam. You heard Sharon, all I care about is being a hero, but here I am breaking the law for the thousandth time. I tried Sam. I really tried to help you guys. I begged Tony and I begged Ross. But all I am is some stupid rich girl." She could feel her chest tightening, tears burning behind her eyes. "I know what people think of me. That I live behind my families money. That my big brother was there to always help me out. Well guess what? That's what family does."

"Catherine, you are more than that. You are...single handily one of the most amiable people I've ever met. You've always helped everyone, no matter the situation. Tony. Steve. Bucky and now me. You don't ask questions, you just do it." Sam spoke.

She shook her head. "The Avengers...it means everything to me. Everything. I know we messed up sometimes, but I've lost everyone. My parents. My brother. Natasha. Steve. Vision. My partner Phil. I choose to be a hero, or whatever you want to call it to protect people from losing their loved ones like I have. And to protect Bucky and William. They're all I have left. And if I lost them..."

Her voice cracked. Everything was hitting her at once. The truth about Berlin. Sharon's words. Dealing with the mission. Everything she had been through as an Avenger. She fell to her knees on the ground, gasping for air. Her chest tightened. Panic arouse in her.