Chapter Thirty Eight

Three Months Later

Consequences. It was a word Catherine had come to dislike greatly over the past few months. She knew her actions the prior months would get her in some sort of trouble. She just didn't know what exactly until she was stood up in front of the United Nations along with Scott and Clint. The rest of their team had escaped, but since they had families, they were hoping to cut a deal. Luckily, Tony was able to help and they just ended up with house arrest for a few years.

Catherine's punishment was different. It was unique. It was something she hated. Being controlled. She was at the United Nations and US governments disposal. If they wanted her to go on some dangerous mission where she might die, she would have to or risk being thrown into prison. They also had the ability to make her attend any United Nations meeting they wanted and stand guard. They knew how much she hated it.

She preferred being out in the field, not being required to stand in a room full of politicians who never got anything accomplished while she wore some stiff pantsuit or pencil skirt. She often found herself rolling her eyes or even nodding off during the boring ass meetings. She would have rather had desk duty then deal with the meetings. Then again, it was better than prison or house arrest. She was also lucky they didn't strip her of her 'Agent' status.

"You look overwhelmingly excited." Tony remarked as Catherine walked through the living room of the Avengers compound with a bag in hand.

"I think the government likes to torture me. They've had me going nonstop for nearly three months. Two missions a week on top of me working security detail at events during the week. It's like they're trying to kill me." She complained.

"Did I finally find your weakness?" He teased.

"By weakness, you mean my low tolerance for bullshit then yes." She plopped down on the couch next to him and groaned. "I need a vacation."

"Then take one after you finish up at the United Nations meeting. You're going to have the quinjet anyways. I can send you a list of vacation homes we have around the world."

Catherine lifted her head off the couch. "How did I not know about this?"

"Because...in case you didn't know we've kind of been too busy for vacations. You do deserve one though."

"Maybe I'll take one." She said and pulled out her phone to check the time. "I've got to go. If I'm late they'll arrest me on the spot."

"Have fun!" Tony said sarcastically.

"Always."

Catherine walked outside to the hanger where one of the smaller quinjets sat. While flying wasn't her favorite thing to do, she didn't mind when she was the pilot. However, she wasn't the best pilot even with Hydra's training. Luckily, Sam had shown her the ropes a few times and the jet was pretty technologically advanced which helped. She secured her bag into one of the holders and then took her seat.

The last time she had been to Vienna was months ago when the whole mess that got her in the current situation happened. She prayed that they would hold the meeting elsewhere, but the United Nations insisted on having it there again. It would just be in a different building. She would barely have enough time to land the quinjet at a private airport, run to the hotel and change and then take a taxi to the building where the meeting would be held.

She had changed into a pair of high waisted, nude colored dress pants that tapered at the ankle. She put on a white, silk tank top and tucked it into the pants and pulled on a matching nude blazer. She made sure her side arm was secured and that she had the proper identification she needed to enter the building. Heels were not practical in case of an emergency, but it was required of her to wear.