< Sober Flirt - Daisuga >

Hey hey! This isn't my original work, this was all done by uppercasedd! Not my work, they asked for me to publish it!

-Jay

<<<

It was a normal school day for any third year, except having deadly exams around the corner. Eighteen-year-olds had their ways of cooling off. By healthy, productive,

"Yoo, did you hear he's hosting his twentieth birthday party?"

"Shit, has he celebrated his birthday every year? That's a lot of birthday parties.."

Sugawara cleared his throat upon accidentally listening in on the conversation.

"I think she meant he's celebrating his 20th birthday, not throwing his twentieth party," Sugawara explained kindly, and let out a burst of nervous laughter. She blushed out of embarrassment, knowing she had stupidly explained herself.

"Hey, Kōshi, why don't I add you to the invite chat? You can invite some friends too. I heard his parents gave him a car for his eighteenth!" She spilled the gossip, without Sugawara particularly caring. To be fair, if there were servings of food and sweets there, perhaps he could go in and out.
-
"Daichi," Sugawara calmly approached his fellow third-years, who seemed distraught in conversation. It wasn't until they felt Sugawara's shoe kick their sides, that they noticed his presence.

"Hey!" Sugawara greeted louder, while the two clutched their throbbing sides after being relentlessly abused by the vice-captain.

"Hey," Asahi hissed softly and comfortingly rubbed his hip area before standing straight. Daichi gave the silver-head a dumbfounded look, but Sugawara didn't mind.

"Not that I'm interested, but have you heard about the 1996 kid's birthday. It's a huge deal." Sugawara asked the two. Judging from their expressions, Asahi seemed to have heard more about it than the captain.

"The dude that got held back two years? Yeah, they're talking about him hitting the legal drinking age." Asahi recalled from past conversations revolving around the topic. Daichi eyed Asahi with a more dumbfounded expression.

"As if these people don't sneak it in illegally and do it anyway," Daichi huffed. It's not like he was completely innocent of... consuming a pint of an illegal substance, but in America, it would be okay. At least he was eighteen.

"Oh, that's why they're hyping it up immensely," Sugawara noted to himself and hummed curiously. What was the difference if they snuck in the drinks anyway? Ah, a twenty-year-old driver with a car full of... drinks. Okay, Sugawara saw the profit and pluses.

"Why, are you planning on going?" Daichi asked as the thoughtful silverhead seemed to be in an internal conflict. He eyed Asahi, to direct the same question toward him. To which Asahi just shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, not initially. We're in our last year, you know. We'll never see these people again. I've always studied hard, even during volleyball tournaments and all." Sugawara mentally listed reasons why he deserved a nice break to just have fun and live his life.

"Not to burst your bubble, but we have practice tomorrow morning," Daichi cleared his throat and stared at him with a hint of sternness. Asahi's expression fell at that because that took away the fun of partying.

"Who said I was going to drink?" Sugawara huffed in all offense, not knowing why he gave off the idea that he'd start drinking Everclear and all.

"I don't trust you. If you turn up with a hangover, or worse, skip-" Daichi suspiciously gazed at him. He was surprisingly met by a challenging expression, which should scare Asahi.

"Fine. Then babysit me. I challenge you to join me and make sure I don't do anything stupid. It's not like I watch over the first years or anything!" Sugawara ranted because he felt oddly offended about not having Daichi's trust.

"You ENABLE them." Daichi corrected him, referring to when Sugawara would laugh along with the devilish kids. When he'd quietly support any reckless actions they'd do. Sugawara was a responsible adult embodied as an irresponsible babysitter.

"Um," Sugawara nervously scratched the back of his head. He couldn't tell Daichi off on that one, because it was true. Even Asahi gave Sugawara an apologetic look as if to say .. that's true. Sugawara didn't feel betrayed by one best friend, but two of them.

"Anyway, what do you say?" Sugawara's gaze flickered over both of them. If Asahi joined, it would be a nice thing for the third-year kids to do.

"I kind of got a chance to improve my grade on this one test," Asahi sheepishly laughed. The test was dated to be next week, but he needed the luck to reach the high number he wanted. Luck? He needed to study.

"Teach Tanaka, Hinata, and Kageyama to do the same," Daichi rolled his eyes at the thought. Before he could answer the question-
------
somewhere far away,

"Kageyama, why did it feel like I got yelled at?" Hinata felt shivers up his spine. Kageyama carelessly walked past the tangerine and shrugged his shoulders. What was he supposed to say?

"Maybe because you get yelled for everything you do," Tsukishima snickered in response, without Hinata being aware of his presence at all. Yamaguchi chuckled quietly to himself at the remark but patted Hinata's shoulder. A nice balance between being a good friend to both of them.

"Hey, Stingyshima!-"
-----------------------
somewhere farther away.

"AAAAAAAAAAAA-Kashi. Someone is yelling at me, I feel it!"

"Unfortunately it isn't me this time."
------------------------------------------------------------------
As an older brother, Sugawara made sure to pack lunch for his younger brother. Despite having his parents watch him, he was intent on serving his sibling more food than his parents did. He needed it.

As for himself, Sugawara regretted calling Tanaka for clothing advice. He had friends outside the volleyball team. However, it would be embarrassing to admit he had trouble finding proper party clothes.

"Sugawara-san, it's all about what you're not wearing. You want to look like this: OHmyGOSH he is so HOT does he have a GIRLFRIEND-" Tanaka envisioned the impression he wanted Sugawara to give at the party.

Sugawara pinched the bridge of his nose as Tanaka suggested going with a half-buttoned shirt. No.

"Make your hair messy at the party! I promise girls love-"

"Goodbye, see you at practice," Sugawara ended the call then and there. He was sure Tanaka would start picturing himself impressing Kiyoko with a hot outfit. Though he wouldn't mind gaining attention, it wasn't why he was going.

Before he could study his options well, Sugawara received a text from someone he forgot was going. Right. He didn't expect Daichi to actually go.

Cap. Daichi: Dude, the bus is packed with them. When are you getting there?

me: Jesus, early bird. No one comes THAT early for a party.

Cap. Daichi: Well shit, do you think there are people there?

me: Yes, sober people from schools you might not even know.

Cap. Daichi: That's very awkward isn't it?

me: My god, I'll be there soon. Just hold on. Who told you to go to parties early????

Cap. Daichi: Nishinoya.

me: so you trust him, but you don't trust ME??

Cap. Daichi: Just get here and end my suffering.

me: I didn't think you'd actually go.

Sugawara gritted his teeth as he sent it because he didn't mean to send that. It was by impulse and curiosity, that he sent the text. Shit.

Cap. Daichi: Well, you were right. As the captain it's healthy to rest my mind and live a life outside the volleyball court, you know.

me: you deserve it! :)

Cap. Daichi: Thank you. Alright, the party is two bus stops away. Help?

me: just.. walk in circles until I get there.

Cap. Daichi: seriously?

me: I don't know! Just.. make acquaintances. IDK. You'll figure it out.

Sugawara turned off his phone to relieve his stress levels for Daichi. To be honest, Daichi had a high sense of socialization. He'd feel worse if it were Tsukishima or Yamaguchi. The blond, because he'd end up in hospital for being beaten up. Yamaguchi, because he wouldn't know who to approach. Aw, his first years. He's going to miss them.

Shit, time.
-

To his disappointment, Daichi decided to say fuck it and sit at the bus stop. It had been a nuisance to constantly confuse bus drivers who stopped for him, only for Daichi to handsign a 'no'.

As Sugawara heard the booming music in the background, he changed his walk to turn more confident. For some reason, his second-year friend came into his mind. Sugawara wanted Tanaka to pay cash for spending even a second in his thoughts.

"One button has a massive effect, man!"

While looking away, Sugawara just decided to unbutton the collar one. It was subtle. Nobody would notice anyway. He was just warm in this weather. It wasn't to look more attractive, because a button had no effect at all. Tanaka was just obsessed with too many shows. And Kiyoko.

"Sugawara," Daichi called out and sent Sugawara's arms flying away from his chest as if he hadn't done anything. The silverhead coughed subtly and felt his cheeks heat up in embarrassment. Did Daichi see?

Much to his dismay, Sugawara felt his heart race at the thought. That would be deadly embarrassing. Would Daichi comment on it? Would he poke fun at him? He inspected Daichi's expression, which revealed a deep focus on his collarbones and throat. Sugawara blinked slowly, before gulping slightly. Huh?

"Your collar is wrong," Daichi studied his collar, which poked in two directions. Sugawara widened his eyes and opened his mouth to say something. To his surprise, he felt Daichi's fingers wrap around the fabric and fold it to straighten the collar.

"Thank you," Sugawara thanked him, and felt embarrassed for misreading the situation. It wasn't speculation out of nowhere! He was just afraid Daichi would make fun of him for making an effort to look more... attractive.

"I like your style," Daichi complimented the outfit straight after, which Sugawara laughed at, slightly.

Just like that, the two fell into a comfortable air again. They comfortably talked about one topic and panned into another. It felt like a natural conversation until the big door interrupted them. They didn't need google maps to find the house. The music practically did its job. The bass could have spilled outside the house and flooded the neighborhood. Sugawara and Daichi were suddenly hesitant about actually entering.

It was awkward not to know who the door opener was, after knocking three times and kicking once. Sugawara and Daichi pretended like nothing. They only smiled innocently and looked at one another to confirm they were covering for each other. Which they were.

Alright, more people they didn't know. The captains walked side by side as if to protect themselves from the awkward shit. They were happy to be two of many who felt the same. One of the girls seemed awkward and tense, too. Daichi shot her a comforting smile at gaining eye contact, which she soon blushed at.

"Man, why is this sucking already," Sugawara asked the captain, and sighed heavily. This has no potential to turn into a fun evening.

"Yoohoo~, Sugawara, Sawamura" The duo heard a familiar voice ringing from... somewhere. It was faint, and barely audible over the bass booming and miraculously shielded behind every window.

"That's, Oikawa," Daichi muttered to himself and turned around to spot where the sound came from. Sugawara locked eyes with him for a second, to which Oikawa took it as a sign to approach them.

"What are the crow captains doing here?" Oikawa flashed his ultra-kind smile to blast everyone with his relentless charm and beauty. Sugawara and Daichi were far from impressed by it. Rather, they were impressed by his volleyball skills.

"Oikawa-senpai is here!" Some random female student shrieked to herself, or rather, to the entire room. Great, his fanbase. Daichi grew petty over remembering his face from the volleyball magazines. As if he wasn't handsome enough to get the cover of such a cool magazine. Ugh.

"We can ask you the same,"

"It's not common for students to be held back until they're legal drinking age, at least not in my school," Oikawa let out a small chuckle and pointed toward the massive clunk of liquor on the table. Absolutely impressive. Only Sugawara picked up on the sort of insult toward Karasuno high. Hm, interesting.

"I see your other friend didn't join us today," Daichi commented, to change the topic before Oikawa could talk any more shit.

"Iwa-chan insisted to stay home and practice." Oikawa lied effortlessly, forgetting the line. "there's no way I'm babysitting you outside volleyball.". Oikawa did find it unnecessarily rude. Better not reveal that side of him to the Karasuno duo. Sugawara hummed to himself, eyeing Daichi as if to check if he believed Oikawa's blatant lie. In reality, both of them had suspicions Oikawa wasn't liked by everybody.

"Anyways, why not get our evening started with a fun drinking game," Oikawa raised his voice to spark some excitement and momentum. He could not possibly be safe with the occasional flirting without Iwaizumi by his side. Volleyball fans combined his looks with his immaculate volleyball skills. These 1996 girls from Miyagi only followed his social media handles for his looks. In-person, that could get uncomfortable very fast. A drinking game with a selected amount of people would save him from that.

Daichi once again turned to Sugawara to read his mind. Yes? No? To his surprise, Sugawara shrugged his shoulders to say 'I don't mind either way. Daichi furrowed his eyebrows, in deep thought. This is what eighteen-year-olds did at parties after all. Wasn't it? It wasn't as if Daichi or Sugawara fell into any type of pressure either. Both of them had their limits, and Daichi trusted himself and his friend to keep them.

"Alright," Sugawara hesitantly said but knew it was too late to change his mind as Oikawa's eyes lit up. Great.

He could only anticipate what would happen next.
------------------------------------------
Daichi and Sugawara agreed on never telling anyone they'd participated in a drinking game at age 18. To their defenses, they secretly made their drinks to be plainly soda. Sugawara might have added a pint of vodka just to feel cool. Underage drinking sure wasn't cool. No. The birthday, however, was not holding back. Ah, two more years. Unless they visited America-

The two were separated around the table. Daichi sat at the opposite side of Sugawara, and in the polar ends. It forced them both to acquaintance the teens next to them. They were two crows in an Aoba Johsai, and even a few Shiratorizawa students. No, none of the volleyball players were there. Sugawara looked hard for them to no avail already.

The teenagers had to choose a small artifact as a game piece. The game was set up as ludo, with dice to roll and different truths dares, and whatnot. Some of them were spicy, others were medium spicy, while others were tame. Daichi and Sugawara widened their eyes from reading some of the dares. Jesus almighty.

The first rounds were boring since the others were rolling. Some of the first squares only asked who their crushes were, and cliche shit from a teen movie. Both of the Karasuno captains were happy they didn't get the worst ones.

"Worst kissing story?" The question read, and Sugawara sighed upon thinking about it.

"She... had her eyes open and didn't know how to kiss back. I jumped right after because I felt like she stared through my soul. I said to myself, never again. First and last." Sugawara widened his eyes at the memory and cringed harshly to himself. The drunker teens laughed louder, while Daichi held back his laughter by pursing his lips.

A few more rounds neared, and Daichi soon had to roll the dice for a number. A five, which read one of the spicier questions. Sugawara actually raised his eyebrows at this one. He couldn't wait for this one.

"You are dared to give a mystery drink for the most attractive person in the room," One of the Shiratorizawa girls read out number five, which Sugawara choked at. Oikawa already looked ready and smiled confidently. Sexuality didn't matter, only facts did.

Everyone, including Sugawara, closed their eyes and patiently waited for Daichi to stir up a mystery drink. As a responsible captain, he only poured the soda Sugawara liked the least. Just to be funny. He wasn't planning on serving the silver-head any alcohol anytime. Maybe in two years, if their friendship lasted that long.

"Done," Daichi announced and looked at his cup. Everyone stared at everyone, everyone's pair of eyes exchanging anticipating glances. As Daichi stood up, they stared at which direction Daichi was looking at.

Sugawara felt his face heat up as Daichi outstretched the glass to him. Huh?

"What the-" Sugawara asked him without cussing because the teens started screeching and screaming out of shock and mere surprise. Jeez. Sugawara took a sip of the drink, which he already knew what... yes, his nose crinkled and he stuck his tongue out to fake a puke from drinking water with carbonic shit. It's not as if the lemon taste made it better.

"Fuck you," Sugawara scowled at Daichi, who proudly had a smirk on his face. Cunt. Instead of being honest, Daichi had to feed him a drink equivalent to piss.

Sugawara's next turn was to switch clothing with the person on his right, which was one of the Aoba Johsai girls. Daichi sure grew curious about Sugawara in a crop top and a skirt, with his muscles outlining the crop top. The skirt didn't end up fitting, so he kept his jeans on. The girl, on the other hand, had an oversized shirt tucked into her skirt. They actually looked decent.

Except, Sugawara felt like dying in the crop top. It was so tight he felt the oxygen closing in. His arms though, the dim light from the windows revealed how built he was, which didn't show often. Only Tanaka openly flexed his build for everyone. Sugawara, not so much. Daichi felt as if he had seen a new side of Sugawara tonight.

"Kiss, marry, kill three in this room..."

"Dance seductively to never gonna give you up,"

It was Sugawara's turn again, and his dice gave him a 4.

"Your dare is to give your drink to the hottest person in the room,"

"and how is that different from most attractive?" Sugawara exclaimed in protest and pointed to the two squares. It made no sense.

"Hehe, I don't know. We made this by hand and had four squares empty. I guess we got uncreative." The girl defended herself, drunk already. Sugawara rolled his eyes faintly. Well. He guessed he could return the favor?

Sugawara poured water into his cup and mixed it with cola and Fanta. If Daichi went hard, Sugawara was going harder. He devilishly smiled while the others had their eyes closed. The captain was just worried Sugawara would pour alcohol in it. To his luck, the vice-captain was nowhere as cruel as he'd think.

Instead, Daichi ended up spitting the drink in his face by accident. The shock of how bad it tasted sparked a bodily reaction of, spitting it out and gagging. He only noticed after opening his eyes and looking up at a scowling male, ready to smack his shoulder. Sadly, Daichi felt chest pains after being punched/slapped/smacked there.

"Sorry," Daichi smiled sheepishly and wiped his own mouth with the back of his hand. Oh really, Sugawara thought to himself.

"And my face?" Sugawara loudly complained, with his nose cutely flared up in anger. Daichi licked his lips, which was his biggest regret. Again, he gagged and shivered from the shitty taste of the diarrhea drink Sugawara made up.

"Paper, of course, they don't have it here," Daichi realized to himself and looked in the direction of the kitchen. It would be an excuse to take a break from the game before it got wild. Some of the dares later in the game were quote "make out with the person on your left". No, thank you. Drinking games while sober was different. Hey, nobody would notice if the two left.
-
"So, the most attractive in the room?" Sugawara laughed after calming down. He dried off hints of Daichi's saliva mixed with the shitty drink he made. It was karma, one could say.

"I don't think anyone else would want a cup of sparkling water. Besides, if I don't do underage drinking, I didn't want to contribute to it, even if I don't know them. Ah, party pooper things?" Daichi chuckled and reasonably explained why he chose Sugawara. He was the only one Daichi knew in the room. One could say that his traits made him attractive.

"Right? Though I don't know anyone in the room, it would be awkward as hell to choose a random person. You were a safe bet," Sugawara nodded in agreement, and smiled kindly at his captain. Daichi also nodded at his point, which was true.

They ignored the drinking game and replaced it with a comfortable conversation in the kitchen. It was just the two of them at a scene outside volleyball.

"Hey, from a friend, I've feared aging sometimes. For some reason, I've been reassured by your silver hair. If you suit it, maybe I could too! So, you are indeed attractive. Own it," Daichi bumped Sugawara's shoulder. From his height, he wiped off his kind smile by feeling Sugawara's hand strike into his hip.

A normal chop, followed by a light kick onto his leg.

"Are you comparing my hair to aging? Do I look old to you?" Sugawara scowled and turned his head toward Daichi to glare at him. He widened his eyes at realizing how the compliment sounded and cleared his throat. Daichi soon felt his cheeks heated by the awkward misunderstanding. Fuck.

"No! No! Suga, I meant, that you look good. Y'know. Grey hair is rare and you really own it! You could replace Oikawa in magazines and all," Daichi rambled and tried his best to be sugary sweet with him. At that, Sugawara huffed and changed his expression to a proud and confident one.

"Thank you. For the record, you're attractive too! You look warm and approachable," Sugawara returned the compliment and fearlessly looked at Daichi. The captain softened his gaze at the genuine, rare, honest compliment.

"Ah, that's why you approached me, isn't it?" Daichi couldn't stop himself from smirking and looked at his friend. Sugawara raised his eyebrow at the challenge and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"Don't get cocky. I just have an enhanced sense of identifying attractive people," Sugawara attempted to brag about himself and his qualifications, only to realize he seamlessly complimented his looks once again. Wait-

"Confident, eh? What about at Karasuno. Would you still give me the mystery drink?" Daichi felt his chest heat up from feeling like something was dangerous. His words slipped, but Sugawara blinked in the realization of what that meant. Wait a damn minute.

"Sure, and what about it?" Sugawara took a step closer, only to meet Daichi's challenge with sheer confidence. Daichi was met by Sugawara's tilted head, and narrowed eyes at him. While Sugawara's entire body system said ABORT, ABORT, his posture stayed completely still.

"Then I guess you're right about your list of attractive people," Daichi chuckled softly, and raised his eyebrow at being confirmed Karasuno's most attractive person, according to Sugawara.

"It takes one to know one, isn't that what they say?" Daichi added, to which Sugawara gulped massively. He licked his lips in order not to drop his jaw in complete shock. Even though his hands would start sweating at the intense speech under Daichi's stare. Sugawara was sure his body was shaking, as his brain caught Daichi's eyes flicker from his head to his collarbones and back up to his face. It was only for a split second, he swore to god.

"Exactly, so you better take the damn compliments and keep them," Sugawara threatened in a soft way, which made Daichi smile more genuinely. Yeah, he nodded in agreement. If that's what Sugawara wished, he would take the compliments into account. Daichi felt his head spin once his head caught onto the flirting that was going on without himself being aware of it.

"It's getting late, Suga. Practice tomorrow morning, remember?" Daichi ended the entire conversation before it could get any weirder. They weren't even drunk, and yet they were brutally honest with one another.

By the end of the night, Sugawara and Daichi had to split in order to get home. The teenagers were drunk and gone. Sugawara had gotten his shirt back, thankfully. They felt their ears ring from the loud music but felt relieved once they got outside in the brisk air. Neither of them spoke to each other as they were leaving, except for an awkward goodbye.

Sugawara had his eyes widened and bottom lip between his teeth upon remembering the cursed conversation. Daichi tried to hum a song and cope by forgetting it altogether. It wasn't a big deal. It didn't have to be a big deal. Jesus. Maybe he ingested alcohol by accident because there was no way he actually said all that bullshit.

"Did I just flirt with Daichi-" Sugawara asked himself quietly halfway on his way home. His head was empty. No thoughts.

"What in the actual fuck-" Daichi looked at his palms as if he had punched someone. It was to check whether he was in his own body.

Bottom line was, both of their minds concluded one thing; YES, they had flirted. However, neither of them planned on acting on it until two or three years later.

~~~

Not me being jealous of the skill *cri*. Anyway they have a few works so go check them out!

Stay safe ya'll and don't do anything stupid <Like me> <No takebacks>

-Jay