x- You're not you when you're hungry - Bokuaka -x

We got luckyy!!!! Another perfect one-shot by uppercasedd! Full credits to them, I take no responsibility to their work.

-Jay

x-x-x

It wasn't often Bokuto was able to enjoy the streets in the way the second-year could. Except it didn't matter to the third-year anyway. Despite Akaashi's numerous hints and advice, Bokuto hadn't read over any chapters. Much to his dismay, he hadn't even taken his dusty books out of his backpack.

Out of hope, Akaashi was hoping to trick Bokuto into studying while socializing. Perhaps if he'd accidentally lead him to the library, he'd force him to read. Currently, the breeze was easing Akaashi's mental strategizing. Bokuto was a source of his stress, that he kept inside.

Similar to the bland, blue sky, Akaashi's eyes held no special emotion. Meanwhile, the oven of a sun charged Bokuto with more energy than usual. The ace even insisted on outdoor, beach volleyball even with two players alone. Surely he must have gone insane.

Bokuto on the other hand didn't have anything to burden his mind. Others would describe him as simple-minded, but he described himself to be energetic and carefree. Two different, yet positive synonyms for being simple-minded. Subconsciously, he hummed to a song sung by a street performer. Bokuto peered over their city, only to see a young child hand-in-hand with his mother. The tall man smiled kindly in his direction, to be nice!

The child, barely seven, started crying. Stunned, Akaashi opened his mouth to word an apology, except the mother beat him to it.

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry!" She apologized and scolded the kid very politely and quietly.

"No, he was a nice young man-" Bokuto heard them walk past them, and bit back his smile to prevent himself from making anyone else cry. How could this happen?

MEANWHILE, the kid

He looked up to see round balloons sticking out of the man's arms. His hair looked like a mountain he saw from children's tv. He could even see six puddings from the man's chest, like a monster. It reminded him of the big man who was a villain in the one TV show he watched. The man was scary with his big smile like he wanted to kill him!

Stay back!

Once he saw the man's golden eyes on him,

he started crying and cowered in fear behind his mum. Loud sobs erupted from his lips, even after passing the men. How could the nice, kind-looking man be with the villain?
------------------------------------

"I didn't do anything?" Bokuto hummed to himself, deeply in thought. How and why did he cry so easily? Hm. Meanwhile, Akaashi started stressing upon seeing a children's park on the other side of the road. Uh oh, they were going to walk past there.

Four lightning strikes of realization widened his eyes. Calm it. It should be mentioned, food was Akaashi's tank of energy he needed to deal with Bokuto. Now he was low on food, and his mental state was weakened. Stress slipped through the crack of his defense, like cut-shots.

"Bokuto-san," Akaashi calmly reminded him that they were going to cross the road. He was deeply in thought and took the wrong turn. STILL, the simpleton reflected upon the incident.

"Bokuto-san! If you could've used half the brain cells on studying, maybe you'd get higher than 47," Akaashi suggested calmly, to which Bokuto glared at him for a second.

"Shut up," Bokuto faintly rolled his eyes and quietly turned around to follow the right route. Meh, it didn't matter. It was a one-time thing, like flukes. Bokuto was convinced volleyball was the only thing in his mind, at all times. He started thinking about how his student was doing!

Hinata Shoyo, the talented middle blocker, and decoy!

Ah, the road is empty despite it being a red light... Well.

Two kids started crossing the road, along with a businesswoman. He heard Akaashi exclaiming how there was a red light, but Bokuto didn't mind. Meh, the road was empty anyways. Instead of being obedient and civil, Bokuto shrugged and began crossing the road anyway.

Akaashi gritted his teeth, as the others stopped midway to let the lane of cars pass. Bokuto, on the other hand, seemed to believe jogging past the second lane was a good idea. While there was a car close to him, his jogging and the driver's breaks let each other through.

Though safe, Bokuto's thumbs-up back at Akaashi infuriated him. Strike three, Akaashi thought to himself. Bokuto forgot his lunch, so Akaashi made him a lunchbox. Strike two, making the kid cry and taking the wrong turn.

But this, this was enough to piss off a low-energized Akaashi.

His nose flared from the frustration inside, but he forced himself to cross the road safely once the green man told him to. Like a civilized teen, he calmly walked across both of the lanes. Bokuto turned around once he saw Akaashi approach him.

Instead of lashing out, Akaashi rationally believed it would be better once there were fewer people around. Relax, food soon, food, food soon. Akaashi took a deep breath and exhaled equally as deeply.

"I don't remember you getting tired so easily, Akaashi," Bokuto mocked, purely of humor. His smile radiated nasty confidence, yet comedy and pride.

Bokuto-san, don't. Not when I'm hungry.

"And I don't remember an eighteen-year-olds being as disoriented as you are," Akaashi fired back, only to leave Bokuto stunned at the reply. Completely calmly, Bokuto opened his mouth to ask,

"Ah, I was only joking," Bokuto chuckled lowly, and scratched the back of his neck out of a nervous habit. Perhaps Akaashi took it personally?

"Well, I wasn't. For starters, you get distracted by the smallest things and get lost like a child. And-and then you make one cry and walk the wrong way." Akaashi flung his bag from his shoulder and rapidly opened it, nearly ripping it open.

Akaashi takes out the lunchbox with a small owl on the lid and shows it openly and clearly.

"I'VE been making your lunches for a week, and you're one year older than me for fuck's sake." Akaashi raised his voice only because today was a very bad day. Stress, hunger, and worry clouded all rational thinking and his usual emotional tolerance. The sunlight pissed him off. The clouds pissed him off. The kids pissed him off.

And Bokuto, ohoho.

"What in the hell crawled up your ass, Akaashi?" Bokuto dampened the hurt and embarrassment by shock. Without commenting on any of the remarks, Bokuto kept his guard up to protect himself from the unnecessary attacks. Akaashi wasn't an aggressive person, so this was new. Besides, Akaashi had never complained before.

Bokuto started thinking if this is how Akaashi felt the entire time... then.

"I'm hungry! And you, god you are so annoying today," Akaashi nearly yells except he's in public and hates attention. It would backfire too fast. Akaashi rolls his eyes and calms himself for only two seconds.

"Let's just go," Akaashi demanded, which Bokuto was too nice to reject. Well, he found it too dramatic to start leaving Akaashi behind. Besides he was afraid that'd erupt more anger in Akaashi. Then it hit him,

Akaashi was so clearly hungry and made a lunchbox for him.

Shit, I'm stupid.

Bokuto relaxed and let the past, harsh words sink in.

So did Akaashi, and now he was piss-afraid of having Bokuto hurt. His eyes slowly went back to harboring fewer emotions but darted back to his friend in secret. Bokuto's face was unreadable, but he didn't as hurt as Akaashi expected him to.

Is he... hiding it?

Akaashi felt his blood pressure rise for the fiftieth time that day. Bokuto's low humming had turned to complete silence, which was unsettling to both of them. Suddenly, during their walk, Bokuto got it.

He understood exactly what was going on. In the corner of his eye, he caught the building no student went to. Bokuto removed his gaze in case Akaashi caught him staring at the library.

Meanwhile, Akaashi stressed as he saw another crosswalk with street lights and signs. He grew alert once the light turned red for walkers. Before Akaashi reacted, Bokuto straightened his back and stood deadly still in front of the crosswalk.

Akaashi looked down to avoid the embarrassment but caught Bokuto's gentle smile at him as reassurance. It was barely, but he saw it in the corner of his eyes.

Another puff of wind awkwardly made the silence clearer between the best friend. Like Akaashi, Bokuto also had a secret folder of Akaashi's behavior and how to analyze him. Unlike his friend, Bokuto kept his smarts to himself. The smallest, smartest gestures meant a lot in these moments. Exhibit A, now,

While the timer went green, the other street light delayed the green by a second. By then, Bokuto pinched the neck of Akaashi's shirt, to hold him back.

"It's not completely green yet, 'Kaashi," Bokuto purposely lectured him as revenge, but also an act of care. Simultaneously, he let out a deep chuckle and started crossing the road himself. Akaashi heard it, too stunned to comment or retort anything back.

If Akaashi thought straight, Bokuto would see the library on the other side of the road. Which meant he needed to convince him to go left before Bokuto could protest.

"Left," Akaashi let out as Bokuto reached the other side before him. The taller smirked to himself and had already turned left before Akaashi's words.

Or rather... does he know where we're going?

Only four, large buildings left until the library was at their right hand. The large business structures nearly shielded the students' most despised place, except the aesthetics made it slightly better. Hell, some of his friends went there only to take pictures.

Bokuto lacked the reaction Akaashi visualized in A, B, C. Therefore he tried to analyze a reaction D, which didn't come either. Puzzled, Akaashi caught Bokuto stop in front of the library. His eyebrows raised in surprise, and his mouth opened to form some words. Was he tricking Bokuto, or was he tricking him?

On cue, Bokuto turned his head to catch Akaashi's bewildered expression.

"Careful with that, you might catch flies y'know?" Bokuto's confidence grew in his walk toward the library. Huh? Akaashi couldn't have heard that right. His look... Bokuto looked... fierce. As if he had something to prove.

He only saw that expression during intense volleyball matches. What...

"Go, because I'm not going there," Bokuto held the door for him, patiently waiting for Akaashi to walk through the door. Suddenly, realized dawned on him. Of course, Bokuto wasn't going to. Akaashi was suddenly drained of all shock... and hope.

Nearly disappointed, he didn't bother nor care enough to put up an argument. Perhaps he could spend time studying by himself. Who needed a stupid study partner anyway?

With an unbothered look, his walk nearly seemed careless and sloppy. Whatever Akaashi told himself mentally. He didn't expect Bokuto to hold him back by his arm, all of a sudden. Akaashi looked up at the confident man, his eyebrow quipped up. Bokuto's smirk held some sort of power, which Akaashi felt under his gaze.

"I'll see you in half an hour," Bokuto left him at that, walking away from the library. Akaashi hadn't even finished his response.

"I don't- spend 30 minutes on.... studying," Akaashi talked to himself once the door closed amidst of his sentence. He closed his eyes and exhaled in relief. At least the clutz was out. Akaashi could stress less now. Wait! Bokuto's fucking lunchbox.

Akaashi ultimately found books on the topic he was studying, along with school books. It was good to have secondary sources with different perspectives. Lazily, he wrote his handwritten notes and used his ruler to structure his notes. The different markers marked different things. Red, keywords. Yellow, answers to questions. Green, important people. Blue, statistics. Grey, directly linked to his learning goals.

He didn't know how much time he spent on his notes when the automatic door opened again. His eyes peered over four pages at the same time, similarly to how every new driver looked over every mirror. Distracted from hunger and even attention, he didn't notice the seat across him being taken.

Suddenly, the smell hit him harder than anything else. His hunger made its sounds through his stomach, which embarrassed him even further. Akaashi looked up in a split second, to be met with Bokuto.

"You're not you when you're hungry, Kaashi," Bokuto remarked quite casually, without an undertone of bitterness. Akaashi watched him scoot the box of chicken rice noodles toward him, as well as the bag of a mystery dessert.

As much as Akaashi wished to rip the packages open and start eating, he politely muttered a thank you. His hands eagerly reached out to open the takeout box first. However, it didn't seem to be the plan.

"Not so fast," Bokuto sing-songed without providing any context or hint. Akaashi narrowed his eyes, and found himself growing agitated by every second it was him and the smell of food... untreated.

Before he could remind and warn Bokuto of his low temper, he heard the noise of wheels forcing it closer to him. He watched his stupid feet tap his way over to Akaashi, forcing him to scoot to give him room. As if his broad build and excessive muscles didn't take all the world's space already.

"That'll take away your attention from reading, hence making your trip here useless," Bokuto pointed out while reaching his hand under the small office chair, to raise it by a lot. After adjusting, Bokuto let out a satisfied beam from having his legs free. Akaashi almost forced his hands to open the food, to which his friend yelped and remembered his mission.

Bokuto reached for the chopsticks and opened the box for him. If he was about to eat in front of Akaashi, the ravenhead would flip shit. Instead, Bokuto opened the book for him and collected a biteful of food. Akaashi now understood the memo and flipped the pages to where he was. He never knew he needed a professional feeder during his study sessions.

While the smell of food imposed hunger on innocent visitors, the pair made a routine out of eating and studying. Bokuto did the feeding to prevent Akaashi from looking away from his book. Steadily, his mood improved, and his ability to absorb the curriculum improved.

They continued for almost an hour when the box was empty. The only times they'd share a look, was when Bokuto purposely led the chopsticks toward himself to be faced with Akaashi's glare. It did tickle the owl's funny bone, so it was worth it in the end. Besides, the look on Akaashi's face fueled something in the older.

It was the drive to learn, despite not having a particular interest. Though the content was heavy, Bokuto watched him read it over and over until it clicked. Akaashi's static face twisted to many microexpressions only he could catch. Microexpressions Bokuto didn't know existed. As a professional feeder, he couldn't do much aside from looking at his friend.

He did end up on his phone a few times, which led to Akaashi playfully smacking his bicep. Bokuto had brought out a greedy side of him, he figured. Oddly it made him happy. Akaashi had dealt with his ass for a while, whether he'd talk holes into his ears, or go into emo modes during matches. It was nice to see Akaashi use the resources Bokuto could provide. A healthy, two-way friendship.

While the library had the dark, modern coffee shop vibe, Bokuto thought of the conflict earlier. The outburst stemmed from hunger. A drunk or hungry man's words are always the truth. Bokuto couldn't remember teh exact quote, but he knew the ravenhead had quite a bit on his mind.

The pair sat mostly in silence unless Bokuto ruptured the silence. Otherwise, the two of them shared a journey in their own mind space. The third year was patient, at least when it came to Akaashi. He could grant him a lot of time if he needed it. Amidst his useless thoughts of volleyball and tournaments, Bokuto heard a book close.

Again, his eyes peered over his monotone friend who quietly announced he had gone over the chapter. Well, as if that didn't take a hundred years. Akaashi's flames of anger seemed to have vanished completely. If he didn't about Akaashi's cages of emotions, he wouldn't have suspected him of feeling guilty. The positive virus was back and in charge of Bokuto's head and body. He could easily strip the weight off of Akaashi's shoulders.

"Bokuto-san," Akaashi narrowed his eyes, a look of dumbfoundedness on his face. Whoops, zoned out again. Unluckily for him, Bokuto's expression made Akaashi feel uneasy. Curiosity and confusion whilst staring at someone wasn't the to-go stare.

"Let's go?" Akaashi blinked, and neatly gathered the mess he had left from his meal. Bokuto snapped out of his very fast and bolted up from his chair. If nobody complained about loudness, they sure would now.

"Let's go,"

x - x - x - x -

The sky was setting on a higher level. Nothing could beat Akaashi's sets in Bokuto's mind. He was sure every spiker felt the same way about their setters, and the second year happened to be his setter.

As the streets gradually got rid of the rush, Bokuto's golden eyes could be mirrored in the sky along with many colors. Hues of the sea, and the roses alongside water, mixed in a clean way. As if mother nature knew how to mix every color without spilling. Akaashi looked up to see Bokuto's sharp jaw, holding his head slightly higher to face the sky while walking.

This time, Akaashi didn't get mad at him for zoning out. Rather he tugged and dragged at his sleeve to steer away from bicyclists and bigger pebbles. It was gorgeous to both of them. So much so that they shared a comfortable silence to let their minds take in the view. The taller skyscrapers being canvases for the sunset, and shadows dancing around them for every minute. The sun acted as the main character for the sunset, and it got everyone's attention.

Well, Akaashi had Bokuto in his vision no matter what. It was bound to happen, as the taller-by-3-cm occupied some of his views. To be fair he needed to supervise the older too. Who knew if Bokuto would get run over without him? He could simultaneously, yet secretly, admire his best friend from afar. Akaashi was happy for his best friend succeeding in having looks, talent, and health. Sadly he lacked brains, but that's where Akaashi stepped in.

Yeah, how would Bokuto's life be without him? The second year would rot here while his best friend explored the question. On one hand, Akaashi wasn't worried because he was sociable, open, approachable, and charismatic. On the other hand, he made his lunch still.

" 'Kaashi?" It was Bokuto's turn to interrupt him from the safety of his thoughts.

"Hm?" Akaashi nearly monotonously hummed, with a hint of curiosity. As his eyes registered the area, he knew exactly what was coming.

"We're splitting, so I thought I'd say goodbye for now, y'know. You seem lost though, we can text about it... unless you need to talk?" Bokuto ended up rambling despite not intending to. The situation had escalated in a split second.

"I'm sorry, for today I mean." Akaashi let out, according to his friend's suspicions. Unexpectedly, he was met with a warm smile that had the sunset as the background. Akaashi would've snapped a picture for the objective aesthetic. Only to edit it and make it professional. Shit, his best friend was photogenic. Why did that matter in his head, more than the actual forgiveness through a smile? Jesus.

"Don't think about it, 'Kaashi. Y'know, you're right. I'm nineteen before I know it, then twenty. If I can't get my shit together at eighteen, I might have to force you to move in to fix my shit. Which, I wouldn't put on your shoulders." Bokuto waved it off in the end and chuckled fondly at the thought of his future. It'd consist of volleyball, and it'd be interesting to evolve as an adult over time. At the same time, he'd miss Akaashi. A lot.

Akaashi gained a soft look in his eyes because Bokuto revealed he believed their friendship would last that long. Rather, it provided him safety. Despite the owl flapping its wings to a new area, he'd still have Akaashi as his main friend. Before Bokuto could catch or comment on it, Akaashi only offered a faint smile back.

He turned around to walk home, only to be met with his name again.

" 'Kaashi? Can I tell you something? A secret," Bokuto wiggled his eyebrows for a dramatic effect as if to draw him in. Akaashi slowly turned around and raised an eyebrow. Was there anything he didn't know about his best friend?

"You can either hate me for this or find it nice,"

Akaashi listened, safe and sound. He was sure he would hate Bokuto, but he gave it a shot. Bokuto released a deep sigh and looked directly at his setter.

"We both know that lunch isn't hard to make. I also hate to pressure you and stress you, I hope you know that. I don't want to be a bother," Bokuto started off, and pressed his lips into a thin line. He bit back a smile once he caught traces of fondness and softness in Akaashi's expression. His silly setter always thought he'd never see.

"Well. I just wanted to tell you, since I'm graduating soon. I used to make lunches for myself, and it was cool and all. The thing is, how do I word it. Your lunches have that one ingredient my food doesn't, and that's care, effort, and sheer friendship. I guess it motivates me to eat, but also enjoy every lunch you make. Thank you for everything you do, Kaashi." Bokuto admitted, even blushing in embarrassment over recruiting his younger friend to be his cook. Come on, he knew better.

"Your lunches taste better because I can feel your care," Bokuto summarized in one sentence, which caused Akaashi to blink.

In other words, Bokuto used my capacity only because he admired my cooking, and cared for? ... He likes my lunches better for the ... care?

Stupid.

"I'm your best friend, it's my job to take care of you, or care about you, even if I show it through a meal. As long as you eat well, I don't mind. Idiot." Akaashi added the insult to make it less emotional, yet Bokuto let out an airy chuckle and nodded in understanding. Perhaps he could enjoy this until the end of the year.

Just one month longer.

"Alright, take care," Bokuto bid farewell with a rare line, which was an earnest and sincere wish for Akaashi.

The two split ways, as if the emotional rollercoaster hadn't happened. Akaashi sighed heavily and felt a bittersweet emotion of heartache and a warmth in his stomach. Bokuto left, feeling utter peace and gratitude toward his best friend.

He turned his head back to watch over Akaashi, just to make sure he was okay. At least that's what he told himself at the time.

Meanwhile, Akaashi felt unnerved. If Bokuto was far away, he'd worry more, not less. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Besides, who would he perfect lunchboxes for? Who would he remind on dusting and vacuuming? Oddly, it wasn't anyone's job but Akaashi's. At least the second-year hoped so.

Wouldn't it be empty without having to care for his best friend? Akaashi nervously bit his bottom lip. Yes, Bokuto was right. The lunches had nothing but care.

The day ended for the both of them. They had different plans the next day. Some of which changed drastically, for the better or for the worse.

x-x-x-x-x-

It was at 9 am, Bokuto's free period for two hours when the Akaashi family, half of the family, welcomed him with open arms. Though, with surprise. What the fuck did he do there at 9 am, without the 17-year-old present?

"Make sure to give him this before he does anything else," Bokuto proudly put the box in the fridge, and circled his car keys around his index. His job was done.

Bokuto gave one last glance toward the youngest Akaashi's to-do list. Change bed sheets, pillow cover, duvet cover, study, Bokuto's lunchbox

done!

Then, it was Akaashi's turn to return home at 3 pm, to a shady-looking family. He oddly passed them after greeting them, to be met with the shitty to-do-list on his door. Sometimes he hated his own writing and reminders with a passion. Fuck, he just wanted to sleep after a long day at school.

Can't sleep in a messy, dead-skin-cell covered bed

fuck.

Akaashi groaned in frustration as he flung his backpack nearly while opening the door. His eyes immediately saw a change in the entire room. Neat, and the table revealed no dust under the sunlight. His books were stacked alphabetically, but he was sure he fucked up the system a long time ago.

Ah,

"Thank you, mom," Akaashi let out loud enough for the lower floor to hear. His great, great gratitude was only met by a nervous laugh. Weird, but he needed a nap. It was a fine feeling to fling himself onto a clean bed, wishing his mom a thousand good wishes and prayers. He loved her so much he could buy her four mansions. At least at that moment.

"About that... That wasn't, me" his mother had confessed, entering his room to see her son half-asleep. Hesitantly, she snapped her fingers and called out his name to break his sleep.

"Have this, Keiji," she handed over the box, which consisted of two sticky notes.

"Hello!

I know it's weird to say your lunches taste like care,
but hopefully, you'll eat this and realize what I mean.

Your greatest ace "

"Also, naps during the day isn't recommended,
eat this and see if you feel more energized!!!

Your greatest ace, and best friend :)

At that moment, while the sunlight exposed the non-existent layer of dust. Akaashi could've blamed the circumstances, or rather the words he wrote.
He couldn't explain why, but he didn't know either. His blue irises contracted as the pupils expanded without the sunlight threatening them.

x-x-x-x-x-

I feel so blessed to have read that TT_TT

Well Make sure to stay safe and keep away from the koalas!!

-Jay