fourteen

∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗
The Truth

───────

She is facing a demon who'd committed the massacre of his clan.

"What are you doing here?!" Nanami's lilac-colored orbs are burning with fury. She kept her sword in a defensive position to avoid a scratch on her flesh. Itachi then voices his words, "I mean no harm. So, put your weapon down." Telling Nanami, but she lets out a retort, "Why should I?" The girl questions once again. She scrutinizes his emotionless face that was perplexing when he spoke so casually. "I'll put down mine first." Itachi takes away the kunai knife—expecting that it would work. For a brief moment, Nanami follows along as well. She had to think twice before doing it.

The kunoichi carefully lowers her sword without prying her eyes off of him to have it by her side. She patiently waits for a response from the S-Ranked criminal. Out of all people in the world, she comes across Uchiha Itachi. His lips start moving to expound his abrupt appearance. "I came here to talk about Misa. There are rumors involving Sasuke that he had done something to her." His reply left Nanami bemused. That's the reason why he wanted to see her. He wants information about his brother and her childhood friend.

Nanami built the courage to clarify those rumors. "According to Naruto and his squad, they were on a mission that led to encountering Sasuke. He abducted Misa, as stated by them. There wasn't a specific explanation of why he did such an act against her will. As of today, the village hasn't found any updates yet." She finished her clarification. Itachi perceives what Nanami just elucidated. "My otouto, he has a relationship with Misa. Am I correct?" He earns a nod from the Sato girl. "They've been lovers for a long time." Nanami makes it known for Itachi.

She clutched the handle of the sword that is still in her grasp. She makes eye contact with his obsidian gaze. "Now it's my turn to ask you a question. Why did you come to me to know about the situation?" Nanami asked in a solemn tone of voice. The mysterious man blinks; he isn't giving off an ominous aura. He is mildly candid.

Itachi proceeds to speak, "I can't show my face, especially towards my former homeland. I anticipated that you'd be reliable to tell me everything." His answer to her question was both strange yet somewhat understandable. Nanami furrowed her brows in a disoriented look. "Even though I've told you everything, I am not gullible to acknowledge that you are a terrorist from a secret organization." The lilac-eyed kunoichi walks off to grab the sheath that she dropped. Nanami could feel Itachi's eyes staring at her back. "I may have that title, but I do care for my otouto." He delivers a staggering reply.

Nanami turns herself around, "That was a change of your persona. How do you still care about Sasuke after executing your whole clan?" She is like everyone else that knows the heinous incident. Itachi thought about it in his head. He wasn't sure if he should tell her the truth. Not a single person knows the massacre's background, except for one person that contributed to it. He keeps it a secret and allowed the world to loathe him for what he did. Itachi takes steps further to get close to Nanami. She doesn't move a muscle, nor was she going to attack him. She let the Uchiha stand in front of her petite frame.

"There are things that were untold for the sake of Sasuke's life," Itachi affirmed. Nanami flinched when he places his hand on her shoulder. The rogue decides to give in, "The Uchiha Clan downfall was not supposed to happen. I didn't do it in cold blood. Konoha ordered me." The man emphasizes his rationale.

Her eyes widened a bit, expressing that she is intrigued. "What was the reason? Since Sasuke contempt for your actions." Nanami asked him. Itachi plays a smirk on his face. "At first, you didn't want to communicate with me. But now you do." He remarked. The Sato girl frowns, "I don't need to know then. I also have no clue if you are making up lies." She removed Itachi's hand and was about to leave. He stops her by firmly grabbing her wrist. "No, I want you to listen to me. Please." Itachi refuses to let Nanami out of his sight. She has no clue whether she should or should not rely on a criminal.