sixteen

∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗
Until Next Time

───────

The last time they had seen each other was when he told her the truth.

But what's new is that Nanami wore a pine green-colored vest with the Konoha hitai-ate wrapped around her forehead, along with the sword on her back. Itachi assumes that she achieved at becoming a Jōnin. He also detects that she is carrying a bento box in her hand. "How'd you find me?" Itachi asked with a muddled voice. Nanami begins to stride over to him in the breathtaking forest. "I was taking a break from my hectic work, and I sensed another chakra energy. That's how I found you." She gives him a response.

Itachi doesn't smile when people encounter him because he hides his emotions. But now, he feels one etched across his face. He's glad to see Nanami. "It could've been someone else, you know. In a worst-case scenario, my reflexes would've gone out of hand." Itachi touches on humor for the first time in so long. "Well, I'm happy that you did not slay my face." Nanami lets out a bubbly laugh. The two then sat down together and took in the soothing atmosphere.

They were quiet for about a minute until Itachi starts to speak. "I see that you are a Jōnin. I remember those ANBU members that would put me down just because I was younger than them. They were Jōnins, but I don't find age to be an issue." He shifts his head to look into Nanami's dreamy lilac eyes. She was listening to him. "Congratulations, Nanami." Itachi kindly praises her. The girl can feel her face blushing and sudden shyness. She received praises from loved ones but, Itachi was different. He has a charm to it.

"I never thought a rogue would give me such kind words." Nanami looks at Itachi with twinkle eyes. There's a glint of mischief in them. "Arigatou." She thanked him happily, and older Uchiha grins as well. "And you're right. There is no limit to becoming a shinobi." Nanami agreed with his statement. Back in her hometown, she mastered mystical ice jutsus and had a passion for her dream to come true. It all happened at fours-year-old. Nanami was about to become a proud shinobi of the Land of Snow successfully, but her family wanted to move out and start a new life in Konoha. Even though she didn't accept the opportunity, she is happy that her best friend is still part of her life.

"I also got something for you." The lilac eye girl opens the bento box to grab two tricolor dangos—Itachi's face beams. He never felt this happy. "I made them this time." Nanami gives him his favorite sweet treat. The man takes it and gratefully thank her. He takes the first bite; the sugary coat savors his mouth. "This might sound silly, but Sasuke doesn't like sweets," Itachi tells her. "Really?!" Nanami grows surprised. The Uchiha nods in response, "His favorite foods are origini and tomatoes. When we went to a bakery one time, he put on a disdainful face at first sight." He let out an amused chuckle. "I find it hilarious that Misa loves sweets, but Sasuke does not. More like he hates them." Nanami happily laughs out loud.

Furthermore, she can see it now. Itachi does love Sasuke with his whole heart despite the anguish moments that he committed. She wonders if there are some incredible stories from their brotherhood. After finishing the sweet treat, Itachi then spoke in a melancholy voice. "I used to have moments like this. Up until the curse of hatred enters my life." Nanami looks at him, all confused. "Curse of hatred?" She has no clue what that is.

Itachi explains to help her understand the phrase. "It's the counterpart from the will of fire. The Uchiha clan are devoted to love our people and build friendships. However, the Sharingan activates negatively by consuming the darkness once the user experiences losing someone precious to them." He ends his explanation. Curiosity is floating in Nanami's head. She begins to move herself to face the Uchiha entirely. "Can you show me your Sharingan?" The abrupt question made him bewildered.