thirty-three

∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗
Enemies & Comrades

───────

Sasuke can predict that it's going to be a long day.

He looks around the room with his dark eyes. Some Anbu members are on patrol from the inside to the outside. Not to mention, the Analysis Team is at present. Inochi, who is Ino's father, stares at them like a hawk. Sasuke should've expected that they all don't play around. Not to mention, it feels more like a hostage rather than a trial. Lady Tsunade settled the event at the Hokage house, which is odd because they are more likely to be held in Konoha's prison.

The young Uchiha looks at his wrist to Itachi's that they have restraints connected to the floor. Sasuke moves his gaze at the people in front of him. Three councilors of the Leaf are giving the brothers stern faces. Sasuke even saw Itachi glaring daggers at them. He could sense the anger coming from his brother.

It was unlike Itachi because he is passive. To a point where it becomes unsettling.

Sasuke then checks the time on the clock, waiting to be afternoon already. He hears his heart beating and feels multiple pairs of eyes on him. Once noon hits, Tsunade begins the trial. She has a seat with the rest of the councilors.

"Alright. I have some questions to ask, but first, let me start the introduction." The Hokage rested her chin on her folded hands.

"Itachi, Sasuke. It intrigues me that you two want to be Konoha citizens again. I've never once come across a rogue that ran away from their problems but, eventually, realizes that it didn't teach them perseverance, resilience, and strength." It did shock Tsunade. However, it didn't fully convince her. So, she goes deep with it.

"As someone who wants the Konoha citizens safe and to be able to rely on one another, give me your reasons. Why should we have you both on our side?" The Senju asked firmly.

Not just her but everyone else in the room wants them to elaborate. Itachi and Sasuke turned their heads to look into each other's eyes. They don't know who is going first. After a few seconds, it ends up being Itachi. He takes a deep breath and conveys.

"I honestly didn't know my brother would think the same way as I did. Except my life wasn't like his. I went through more hell than anyone couldn't imagine. I've obeyed so many orders just to keep my loved ones safe. If I confronted them, no one would understand me. I never wanted to take my family's lives away because they were scheming a coup. I never wanted Sasuke to bring hatred upon me. I never wanted to be known as the demon with no morals."

Itachi kept spilling his emotions, and people around were appalled to see a change of demeanor. He feels more relieved. Then his gaze drifts to the elders. "I followed your words because I thought it'll prevent another shinobi war and the loss of innocent lives. Lord Hiruzen believed it as well. So, to answer your question Tsunade-sama," Itachi stares into the Senju's light brown orbs.

"Even though Konoha ruined my life after everything, I am still willing to protect my home because the people I was with after leaving are not my comrades. They're my enemies." Itachi finalized his explanation, which made the Hokage speechless.

Sasuke looks at his brother with genuine joy. Itachi is not afraid to speak what's behind closed doors. He no longer is punishing himself. Guess it's now the other Uchiha's turn to explain.

"If you have me on your side, I will fight against the rogues to make peace. Naruto and I may not always agree on some things, but we don't condemn losing our allies. I also want my brother to stay in my life. So, leaving Konoha for good taught me it wasn't the right choice because I can't break the bond with the ones that loved me."