thirty-two

∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗
Moral Strength

───────

Every day, the compound is quiet.

The trial is still pending for the past two weeks, which felt like a month. Itachi and Sasuke have been doing activities in their home, such as ninja training. It may sound like a bleak environment, but they are doing their best to keep things hopeful.

Sasuke is in his now clean bedroom, looking at old pictures of his family. In his days under house arrest, he collected dust particles and grime in every spot with the help of his brother. He also rearranged some stuff to make it look less kiddish. Sasuke gathered his toys and ninja comic books in a box where he'll save them for future purposes. His room looks more minimalistic with a cozy atmosphere.

He wanted to go back and see the life where he was once a cheerful boy. Sasuke came across one where he and Mikoto were at a festival because he remembered begging for Itachi to join him. But he was busy as usual. So instead, Mikoto decided to go to the event with her youngest son. They wore kimonos and watched the fireworks as they colored the night sky. It was a heartwarming moment that he wished to last longer.

Sasuke comes to realize how much he'd smiled.

In each photo, he is smiling widely. As if there was only joy and peace in the world. He admits to himself mentally that he misses his old life. However, there was a peak where it came back. His friends and beautiful lover were trying to bring in the light and not make him stay in the darkness.

Sasuke knows blaming Itachi was the right thing because his brother accepted it. Even though it was the brutal truth, he couldn't even imagine how he would turn out if he did kill Itachi. His life and the relationship with the people he knows and loves would be a living hell. Or possibly worse.

The youngest Uchiha of all could be the one to bring a change to his clan. Sasuke doesn't consider himself a perfect candidate to be a hero. He just knows what is good and evil. He may not be like Naruto, but they do share other similarities. Aside from their rough childhood.

"Knock, knock," Itachi spoke to have his little brother's attention. He stands by the doorframe with a blank expression.

Sasuke pulls his gaze away from the photobook. "What?" He asked him, closing the item in his hands. Itachi sighs, and it does not sound good. "We don't have any food." He stated bluntly. Sasuke lets out a groan. Restricted from purchasing supplies is a nightmare.

Within those two weeks, Misa has been delivering them food and beverages. She did promise them, and the brothers are so thankful. At this point, they are going to lose their sanity.

But then a lightbulb lit up because Itachi thought of something that'll risk his brother's life.

"How about I stay here, and you go to Misa." He suggested, which made Sasuke look at him bewildered. Like he already lost his mind or something. However, the raven does want to rebel at some point. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" Sasuke questions once more. Itachi lets out a chuckle. "You know how to conceal your chakra, and you did break into the village. So, go for it. I'll make sure no one comes here." He is giving the boy moral support, but in a way that is out of the ordinary.

Sasuke keeps staring at Itachi like he is some other person. This can't be my brother, right? He thought to himself.

After a few minutes, Sasuke nodded. "Okay, I'll do it," He said. Even though he still wants to see Misa because staying in a house with his brother can get boring. Itachi puts on a grin, "Great! Just wear a cloak and try not to act suspicious." He tells Sasuke. It's ironic because when he came to Konoha with Kisame, they both looked more cynical at first glance.