twenty-one

∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗
Moving Forward

───────

After a while, when the moonlight was bright, his master requested a meeting.

Sasuke doesn't know what to expect from the Sannin but, he can read that the atmosphere wasn't discomforting and rather placid. How odd. It was only him and Orochimaru in the main room of the hideout. "Why did you call me here, Orochimaru?" Sasuke asked in his usual bluntness. He waits for a response. However though, a change of emotion from his master that he never knew he'll ever witness. Orochimaru has turmoil painted all over his face.

In response to the question, "I've been thinking about amends. Amends that does not involve making the world how I desire to be. I realized my cruel intentions is going to be vague, especially when there are much more powerful enemies. And I strongly believe it. So, Sasuke," he raises his serpent gaze to meet with the young shinobi, "I am not going to use you as my vessel."

Obsidian orbs are widening and hands clenched into two fists. "What are you saying? Because whatever nonsense that you are making, I am not going to fall for them." Sasuke denies it. A nefarious shinobi like Orochimaru wants to be redeemed for the sake of others. Sasuke receives another response, "I knew you wouldn't take my words to heart. My reason is to help you at some point in life. If you don't accept my offer, you'll probably know me as a silent witness. I am also the one that made you become who you are now." Orochimaru ends it there. After many years of sin, he understands his plan for the new world, without a doubt, turns into dust.

His student grows speechless. A reaction that he expected to happen. Sasuke begins thinking for momentarily. Orochimaru's confession was half-believable because he remembers his talk with Suigetsu about world peace isn't going to come any sooner, and his relationship with Misa is going to be more complex. The other half, well, Sasuke can't see his master as a good guy other than an infamous Sannin that perished human lives. The young Uchiha settles his thoughts and answers them. "If I do trust you, Orochimaru, then you must not take what's mine." Sasuke empathizes the word 'mine' in a demanding way.

He witnessed a smirk play on the older man's face. "I guarantee that I don't want a single cell apart from you, Sasuke. But I do have one more thing to ask. Are you still taking revenge on Itachi? Before you say a word, I want you to think carefully about your decision." Orochimaru becomes assertive. Sasuke even obeys to be silent and listen.

"I met your brother when he was young child. As he grew older, Itachi had a philosophy like no other. He predicted that his actions will not lead to a happy ending for himself and for others. Death changes everyone." The Sannin reads his pupil's body language; anger. Sasuke is balling his hands into fists. Orochimaru continues, "Now, why do you think he wants you alive? Well, he once told me something in my days with the Akatsuki. He said he truly loves you and never dares to let you die."

After that last sentence, Sasuke starts shaking. "Love, huh?" His voice trembles. "How is it love when he tortured me and left like a heartless bastard!" He snapped, making his master sigh deeply. Orochimaru went on to explain a concern. "Itachi admitted for his cruel actions but, he had no choice. If I were you, I'd rather not sit around and have a better understanding about the fateful event. However, I could be wrong, someone out there might deliver you the truth in a whole different perspective. So, what's it going to be, Sasuke?" He questions once again.

Spare Itachi's life or continue seeking his way to his enlightenment.

Sasuke recalls the time when Misa was around. She was afraid that he'll forget all about her. Plus, Naruto and the others don't wish to see him a cold-blooded murderer. The tension in him is pure pressure. He must convey an official statement. But Orochimaru said the truth can told by someone else. Sasuke fell confused by what the Sannin meant. His gut is telling him that if he fights against Itachi, it won't end well.