thirty-eight

∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗
Becoming Rebellious

───────

Sunlight flowed through the leaves above, bright streams igniting every gap. Four silhouettes are walking on the horizon side-by-side. After a long week of completing a mission, they need some rest.

"I can't wait to take a warm bath and eat some dumplings."

Tenten yawns and stretches her arms.

"I can't wait to see our friends! I'll tell them all about the mission." Lee spoke with enthusiasm. He is always sharing stories about his experiences. Sometimes they're extreme, and sometimes they're straight-up bizarre.

Neji stayed silent because he was too exhausted to utter a word. He didn't sleep well the other night because, after a nice barbeque party, Lee overate and passed out and snored like a lion all night. But as much as he tolerates his sensei's and friend's antics, he would lose his mind.

The Hyuga closes his opal eyes and takes a deep breath to ease the nerves. He listens to the calming sounds of nature, from birds chirping in a sweet melody to the light whistling wind. Shortly, he also felt some kind of negative energy miles away.

Neji still kept his eyes closed and tried to navigate the dark aura. He concentrates, but his heart begins to beat rapidly, and he reopens his eyes. Neji starts to sprint his legs because he knows she is in danger.

Guy, Tenten, and Lee become baffled and follow the Hyuga boy.

"Neji! Slow down!" Lee calls out for his friend. Neji knows something isn't right. He has his Byakugan activated, trying to read which directions lead to Konoha. Guy frowns, "Oi! Neji! What's wrong?!" He tries communicating with his student.

"Sakura needs help!" Neji shouted, and his mind was racing.

Even though they are not together physically, he can sense her miles away.

"Are you sure?!" His teacher questioned because it was out of the blue. Neji replies, "Yes! It's not only her but everyone in the Hidden Leaf!" He meant it word for word.

Now that caught their attention.

Guy, Tenten, and Lee all watched him running in front of them with concerned faces. Before, Neji doesn't express his emotions that well. A lot changed when he fell in love with Sakura. However, it's not only her that he worries about; everyone else is at risk.

As soon as they arrived, their stomachs dropped. Neji is correct about the news. Their village is no longer standing.

"What the hell happened here?" Guy spoke angrily. Tenten couldn't form words, and the same goes for Lee, except he is close to releasing his rage. Neji gritted his teeth and tried to find the survivors with his Byakugan.

Tenten recalls, "We weren't out from Konoha for that long." She turns her head to look at Guy. The man shakes his head, "No. Tsunade-sama would've notified us. I believe that it happened in one day." He stated openly. Guy then asked Neji if he had found anyone alive. The Hyuga looks carefully. That's when he saw two strong chakra signatures in a pit of land.

Sasuke's and Pain's chakras are more noticeable from a far distance.

Neji tells the group, "I found Sasuke. It seems like he is fighting an enemy."

Everyone simultaneously moves their heads and looks at him in shock. "Where?!" Lee asked in a desperate voice. Neji beckons his hand to point at the pit in a muted response. Guy shifts his gaze and squints to see where it is underneath the dirt and broken buildings. He can sense it as well. "Follow me." The Jonin demanded as they obeyed.