thirty-one

∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗
Back Together

───────

"You'll be okay, right?"

"It's not going to affect me in any way."

The older male eyes his brother worryingly. It was a decision that Tsunade made, and Itachi wasn't too fond of it. They're going to live in the Uchiha Compound.

Tsunade called for Itachi and Sasuke to see her face to face. She settled the consequences by having them under house arrest. However, the elders were displeased with the semi-fair treatment in a meeting. Especially Danzo. Itachi was burning daggers toward him, and Sasuke felt the same. Anger.

The elders wanted them in prison. Itachi is considered a terrorist. Sasuke kidnapped Misa and claimed him as Orochimaru's vessel.

With such willpower, Tsunade didn't take the elders' advantage of rebuking her choice of punishment. She knew what she was doing when the brothers accepted it. She had investigators analyze their actions. Despite their straightforwardness, they were telling the truth and admitting to their behaviors. Overall, Tsunade believes they are no threat and is curious to know what is more to come.

Sasuke looks around his deserted home. Over more than ten years, the compound still had the same remains, but unfortunately, they were left to decay.

"This compound seems like it's haunted," He said out of the blue.

Itachi smirks mischievously, "Are you afraid of ghosts?" He asked. The younger one gives a death glare, "Of course not! Even if they do exist, they won't scare me." Sasuke crossed his arms with a deep frown. Itachi chuckled playfully because his little brother hates letting his tough guy image downgrade. They continued to explore the abandoned area. Since the Nine-Tailed Fox carnage, accusations were floating around in that period. It caused the Uchiha Clan to get secluded from Konoha.

In other words, the estate has been standing for the longest time. Nobody knows that it still exists.

"Well, here we are. Home sweet home." Itachi lets out a sigh.

The brothers have approached the house where their lives began. Sasuke reminisces the memories; in his obsidian eyes, he can visualize the moment when Itachi is at the front door putting on his shoes to go on a mission. His small self begs him to play but gets poked on the forehead and doesn't have time for it.

"You ready?" Itachi turns his head to look at Sasuke.

"Let's go inside." The raven steps forward and enters his home.

Due to many years in the dumps, cobwebs and dust covered the whole place. They also look at the backyard, the pond has weeds sprouted, and the once green trees and grass are dried up. Sasuke says, "If only we were allowed to get supplies and resources, our house would look better." He desires to clean things up, but the trial restricts them two from going around the village—even traveling. "We can have people to help us out. If they're willing to risk it." Itachi added a bittersweet reason.

Sasuke puts on a subtle smile, "I'm sure they will. And besides who, is ever the good one?" He knows that his friends are beyond ordinary. They've been risk-takers since the start of their shinobi life. Itachi smiles ear to ear, "Maybe your squad will come in and help us. I hope they'll greet me in a friendly manner." He responded to his brother while looking a bit glum.

After those moments, it's a less likely chance to get past them.

"They might accept that you weren't supposed to be our enemy. It'll probably take some time." Sasuke shrugged. He was uncertain. Itachi just nods his head as a response.