forty-one

∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗
Are You Fine?

───────

"You can't be serious."

"I mean, would we ever lie to you."

Suigetsu sounded sarcastic but was telling Sasuke the truth about Kabuto. That sly man is planning to build his army.

Sasuke met up with his squad on the outskirts of Konoha—the public wouldn't notice their identities. Or they are working for Orochimaru. Speaking of their master, Orochimaru was devastated after the scrap between him and Kabuto. Indeed, they fought, which was an ugly one. Kabuto injected Orochimaru's snake cells into his body to have eternal life. It was like competitors with identical abilities or fighting yourself. After running off, Kabuto hasn't spoken a word for a while.

"So, what now?" Sasuke starts to question. "Do we warn the others or wait for more chaos to come?" He looks at his recruits. Karin, Jugo, and Suigetsu glanced at each other because they had no answers for their leader. Sasuke reads the trio's body language that they are stumped and concerned. He, too, feels the same.

More people trying to fight for willpower is starting to sound cliche.

Karin steps forth into the discussion. "I believe we should start taking things slow. Like you and your village are still recovering from the Pain assault. I'm also sure it's difficult because there is no Hokage at the moment." She tries to make a point about their actions. They can't be careless.

"We still don't know if Kabuto is making his army. What we can do is wait for more answers." The medic Kunoichi finished expounding. It's not an easy choice for anyone. However, it might work.

Sasuke closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. There's a lot of weight on his shoulders, and he is starting to feel tired. The young Uchiha opens his onyx orbs to look at his squad. "If we're going with that, then keep updating me. Orochimaru, as well. I wish you all the best on the search." He may not show his benevolence side as often, but when the world is out of place. Plus, there is not a lot of hope.

Jugo nods his head. "We'll try. I guess there aren't any glimmers of hope found yet." He and everyone else can agree that it'll be a long journey. Sasuke etches a grin. "The time will come." The raven doesn't have more to say. After appreciating his squad's efforts, they leave and return to the Sound Village.

Sasuke stands up on his feet and begins to head home. On his way there, he bumps into his mentor at a nearby bridge. He raises an eyebrow, "Kakashi? What are you doing here?" He asked the now alive man.

Kakashi turns his attention from the flowy river to his student. "Hanare suggested for me to do some healing. Unless you want to join me." He spoke lightheartedly with a hint of quirkiness. In truth, he was tired because of their wedding plans. The abrupt attack did put them on hold, and it's a bit unfortunate. Sasuke couldn't disregard it because he, too, needed a cure. "I'll stay, but not for long." The boy goes to his mentor and watches the blue liquid move delicately.

The sound of his tone of voice gives away his clear emotions.

Kakashi reads Sasuke like an open book. "Okay, tell me. What's wrong?" He has been through these moments for so long that he can understand the people around him like nobody else. It may sound blunt and a bit pandering, but it helps whomever to open up.

Sasuke doesn't filter his words. "I am so damn exhausted, Kakashi. In these past months, I went through some crazy shit. I fought against the Akatsuki, surrendered my brother, and had Konoha forgive us, and I am still Naruto's friend. Most importantly, Misa loves me regardless of what I've done in the past. But we are not done with our enemies yet. I don't know how I'll get out of this."