Chapter 3 (edited)

I was currently sitting in one of my lectures, aquatic sciences watching the clock tick by. While usually, I would enjoy this class today I was just too tired and hungry to care.

Thank god, I thought as the teacher dismissed class early. Today was Friday so tomorrow was the day Beckett and I were meeting.

As I walked out I saw Riley waiting for me outside the classroom door. "Hey, I've been waiting."

"Oh sorry I didn't know we were gonna meet up today?" Some days kyle, Riley, and I met up to go eat lunch off campus but we usually plan them the night before or something.

"Oh, no were arent just Kyle told me about what he did and wanted to check up on you," yup that's Riley for you. They were like a mother at times, always checking up on you. "I'm ok thanks though, I'm kind of nervous I mean I don't even know why he wants to meet up with me in the first place."

"I don't know either but kyle does feel a little bad about it if that makes you feel better?" They offer. I knew they were probably lying about kyle feeling bad because that's just not kyle but I could pretend it was true.

"Yeah thanks, you wanna head to lunch together and meet up with Kyle?" Riley nods so we head to the cafeteria. I usually went back to my apartment to eat or the library unless I went out with Riley and kyle.

"Hey, guys over here!" Upon entering the cafeteria doors we see kyle waving his hands around like a madman. As we were walking over to kyle though we see he's not alone.

"Hey? Whos this?" Besides kyle was a child. Like an actual child. They looked to be no more than eight. "Did you fu- freakin kidnap a kid?" Honestly, kyle was known for his out-of-the-box ideas but this was WAY too out of the box.

"Of course not you think so low of me." kyle pretended to be offended for a minute while I just gave him a deadpan stare.

"Guys cmon I didn't kidnap him! I just found him sitting here and started talking to him, or trying to anyway." Kyle exclaims. I stare at him for a moment before turning to the kid.

"Hey there, I'm Toby, what's your name?"

"I'm Mekhi," he replies in a low voice

"Well hello, Mekhi nice to meet you...did you lose your mommy or daddy?" It's kind of weird how he would end up here on a college campus unless of course, his parents go here but even then it's kind of strange.

Mekhi just shakes his head and instead turns to kyle grabbing some of the food on his plate. "Hey little dude, watch those hands, or I'll bite."

"Kyle! You can't just say that. Stay here I'll go get him some food." I give kyle a glare making sure he'll stay here and watch Mekhi before getting up and walking toward the line for food.

The line wasn't that long thankfully, but I still had to wait a couple of minutes before reaching the front. I quickly got what I thought Mekhi would like, paid, and then walked away.

When I got back to the table Riley was attempting to talk to Mekhi but was having no luck. "I didn't know what you liked so I just grabbed whatever."

I slid the food I had gotten to him and then sat down opposite of him. Staring at him, I didn't know what to do with him. While typically I wouldn't care I know some people on campus could be jerks, child or not.

Mekhi opted for the bag of Doritos I had gotten him and opened them up. I just sat there waiting for him to talk while kyle and Riley flirted with each other. He had just finished his bag of chips when someone had walked up to us.

"Oh thank god!! Mekhi why did you walk off like that?" Some guy I didn't know picked up Mekhi and hugged him to his chest. As if suddenly noticing I was there the guy turned to me.

"I'm sorry did he bother you? I swear he was right next to me one second and then gone the next."  Shaking my head I tell him what happened.

"Yeah, he's my foster brother, and he's had a rough life so far so he's not that social or friendly yet. But thank you so much for watching over him!"

"No it's ok I understand, good luck with him in the future," I say before I turn around to look for
Kyle. But when I do he's gone. And so is Riley. Those bastards, they must have left me to go make out. Whatever.

I decide to just head to my next class earlier than usual instead of sitting here alone. Saying a quick goodbye to Mekhi and his brother I walk out of the cafeteria.

_____________________________

I walked inside my bedroom with a tired sigh. After my classes were over I went to the library to do some work and study. It wasn't that late but I was dying to just be able to lay in bed and be lazy for the rest of the day.

I had just plopped down on my bed when my laptop on the desk, all the way across the room, had started to ring notifying me someone was trying to call me.

Reluctantly I get up and open my laptop to see who is calling me.  I blinked a little adjusted to the brightness of the laptop as my room wasn't lit up entirely. When I was able to look at the screen without hurting my eyes, I recognize who was calling me. It was Lee.

Lee was my 6 year old brother. While my parents and I were never close I always tried to keep in contact with Lee as I know our parent's arent always there when we need them to be. He didn't have his own phone yet, but he had a laptop that he could text, facetime, or call on but he had restrictions on who he could contact. "Hey, what's up? everything ok?"

"Hi, Bee! Mommy and daddy are going away next weekend and are leaving me with the meanie babysitter can I stay with you again? Pleaseeee..." he said giving me the puppy eyes.

Knowing I would most likely nothing to do anyways I said yes. "Have you asked mom or dad yet? Make sure it's ok first and then you can come over."

"I'll ask them right now, stay here!" Lee was already gone before I could stop him. Usually, when he left the computer to go do something he would get distracted with other things and wouldn't come back for a while. But I always stayed. 

A/N- hey guys this is just a filler chapter to help slow things down! Sorry I took so long, things happened but today I'm feeling extra productive!! anyways hope yall enjoyed this bye!!