3

Nyla West

Walking into the bar, I'm hit with the familiar smell of alcohol my tongue craves for right now.

I pass the many tables that are occupied by a couple people enjoying a late night drink. It's what I love about this place, it's never too crowded and the people are always nice.

The chatter amongst the low rock music playing in the background fills my ears as I eagerly walk down the few stairs to the main bar area. My mood shoots up ten times higher when I finally see the face I'm looking for.

"Louis!" I call out while half way down the stairs, practically speed walking towards him, wanting to get the better half of my night started.

Louis turns his head to my voice from behind the bar, he's cleaning shot glasses with a white rag. His face breaks out into a wide grin at my presence and I take a seat in front of him on one of the many vacant stools.

I've known Louis since I met him three years ago when Mother dragged me here to get herself drunk and use me as an car ride back home. Louis was bar tending as I spent hours here that night. He seemed to notice my misery and offered to play cards with me to pass the time. I agreed to play with him, knowing there wasn't anything else to do. We laughed and talked for a while, I almost forgot I came here with my drunk mother that night.

I found myself coming back here to be around Louis more often. He always spoke to me and told me stupid jokes, we would play cards a lot of the time and he would even allow me to drink. I was only sixteen when I first met him, but as time went on, he snuck me drinks whenever I wanted them. But I'd only drink when I needed to shut everything out, and tonight was one of those nights.

"Finally decided to see your best friend?" Louis smiles and shakes his head at me. He's already sliding a shot glass towards me filled with my order he knows so well. Vodka.

I grin when I hear his accent filled voice that I'll never get tired of. I haven't visited Louis at the bar in only a week and he's already on my back about it.

Rolling my eyes at him, I swallow down the shot in one gulp, squeezing my eyes shut at the horrid taste. "No, I just came for the free alcohol." I playfully shrug.

"Yeah? Lemme check your ID, I don't think you're of age to be drinking..." He shoots me a warning look.

I quickly shake my head. "I was just kidding, no need to check my ID. I'm so happy to finally see my best friend." I emphasize my happiness for his sake.

Louis gives me a satisfactory smile. "That's more like it." He pours me another drink and slides it across to me. I drink the three more shots he poured, my throat slowly becoming more and more numb to the burning sensation the vodka leaves behind.

"You haven't been around much lately, something happen?" He asks me the question I was dreading even though I know he just worries about me.

Hoping for him to get the hint that I don't want to talk about it, I reply with a blunt answer. "What hasn't happened?" My smile disappears at the thought of my Mother, Louis nods and sends me a sympathetic smile. I change the subject to a more positive note."Sorry I haven't come to see you in a while. Anything new happen with you? Where's James?"

James is Louis' new boyfriend. They met a couple months ago at this very bar and hit it off from there. He works as an realtor. They have a very cute relationship from what Louis has told me. I've met James a couple times and I like him. He's nice to Louis so that's all that matters.

"It's fine I'm just glad to see your face again." Louis boops my nose, it scrunches in return. "And nope, nothing exciting really. I maintained the bar like usual, cleaned glasses, got laid, you know the same old. Oh and James is at home." Louis rants, smirking towards the end of his sentence.