40

Harry Styles

"You didn't lock it." Nyla whispered as we both stood in front of my open penthouse door. It was clear she was panicking. "You didn't lock it, Harry. Remember? I-I told you to lock it, that I'd wait for you until you did-"

"Hey, it's okay." I mumbled, nudging her shoulder with my own. "I didn't lock it, but there's probably no one even there." I said in a casual tone, though my pulse was racing as I hoped to whatever fucking god that Sydney was inside so I could put a bullet through her empty head.

"Then why do you have your gun out?" Nyla asked in a whisper, glancing down at my weapon tightly held in my hand.

Yeah, she had a point. "I'm just gonna check inside, you stay here." I told her and advanced my steps. But I only reached two steps until Nyla was speaking again.

"Wait, I'll come too. I'm not letting you go inside alone." She said, her face flushed with stress. I hated how only a couple seconds ago that same face lit up with laughter, now she had a worried frown and creased eyebrows.

I shook my head out of my useless thoughts. "You're not coming inside until I say it's safe to. And I swear to god, Nyla, if you hear a gunshot, you fucking run. Am I clear?" I muttered, needing her to be clear with this, I wasn't playing around.

Nyla's jaw dropped, immediately trying to deny me. "No—"

"I mean it." I said sternly. "Do not come inside until I say and run if you hear gunshots."

Her lips parted but I raised my eyebrows telling her to stop trying to argue, I wasn't gonna change my mind. She reluctantly nodded her head after a long moment, crossing her arms and leaning her side on the wall next to her.

I nodded, silently thanking her for listening for once. "I'll be back." Was the last thing I said before I swiftly turned around with my gun aimed inside my penthouse. I said those words more for Nyla than for my sake. Doing this many jobs lessens your care for your own life.

I entered my house with soft steps, exactly how I was trained. My gun was aimed in all directions while my well trained ears listened for the slightest sound of movement. It was dark, no light except for the moonlight shining through the closed balcony doors. The place looked the exact same of how we left it before going out this morning. After scanning the overview of the living room, I made my way towards the hallway next to the kitchen.

With my gun still aimed and heart pounding in my chest from the adrenaline of it all, I reached the closed bathroom door. Shifting my gun down, I lean my ear closer to the door to listen for any sounds. Not hearing anything, I whip open the door with my finger tight on the trigger and aimed directly inside.

Empty.

I don't waste time, closing the door again, I look down the hall making sure no one's there. With no one in sight, I proceed towards the opening to the kitchen from this hallway. My back is pressed against the wall right next to the opening, preparing myself to go inside. With a deep and silent sigh, in one quick motion I turn into the kitchen with my gun aimed straight out in front of me. Thinking to find it empty, my heart falls to my ass when I see a figure leaning against the island with a gun already pointed at me with one hand. And right now I wished it was fucking Sydney or one of her men, or a damn robber for fuck's sake. Anyone, anyone, but the man standing across from me right now.

Father.

I release a loud sigh and drop my hand holding my gun down to my side. "Jesus, what the hell are you doing here? I thought you were a damn robber." I muttered, running a hand through my hair in a stressed motion.