14

Nyla West

The smell of pancakes invades my nostrils, filling my senses with a warm, sweet smell. I quickly throw the comforter off my body, sitting up...but this isn't my bedroom I realize as I look over the unfamiliar bedding.

But I don't think on it too long, my priority right now is following the inviting smell coming from downstairs, I exit my room. Again, I walk down an unfamiliar hallway and staircase. Where am I?

My feet have a mind of their own, not allowing me to stop until I reach the kitchen to see who's responsible for this amazing smell. I enter the kitchen to see the back of a person fiddling with the pan on the stove. My eyes brows crease to the sudden familiar feeling I'm hit with, but still not sure since their back is facing me. A cough comes out of my mouth to make my presence known.

And I feel my jaw nearly dislocate as it drops when the person turns around with the smile I haven't seen in ages.

"Dad?" My eyes wide at his presence as I stare directly at him.

"Sol! Good morning, honey." His face brightens at the sight of me, a toothy smile as he walks over to me. My knees feel like they're about to give out at the sight of him after all these years. I reach out to touch him until another voice interrupted.

"Oh, so it's you making this delicious smell roam around the house?" The voice comes from behind me.

I turn to look at who else is here, meeting eyes with my mother. Not only that, but she's also extremely happy with a bright smile occupying her face.

My eyes practically bulge out of their sockets as I watch Mother greet me and kiss my forehead then embracing Dad in a tight hug following a simple peck on his lips.

"Wh-what-"

"So do you have work today honey?" Mother asks my dad while he turned back around to tend to the pancakes on the stove.

"Yes, sadly I do even though I want to spend every second with two." Dad responds, turning his head back to shoot me a quick smile.

"Here, sit down Nyla." Mother pulls out a stool, gesturing for me to sit down. I hesitantly sit down as she rests her hands on my shoulders while standing behind my seat.

"He's never coming back." Mother suddenly whispers in my ear.

I frantically snap my head to her, trying to ask her what she just said again even though I clearly heard it. She doesn't acknowledge my confusion though, simply walking over toward Dad before I could question her.

What is going on?

Dad has his back facing me while he continues to cook the pancakes, Mother leans her back against the counter so she's facing me as I watch the two of them interact with each other.

They converse, sounds of laughter filling up the kitchen along with the sweet smell of the pancakes being made. My mind doesn't pay attention to what they're saying, solely focusing on how happy they look. This is so absurd it's making me go into shock, seeing my dad, my mother without a beer bottle in her hands, both of them attending to my needs.

Their laughter dies down, silence becoming more prominent among us. Not an uncomfortable silence, but a quietness as everything seems like it's balanced. I can't help but smile, watching my mother look at my dad's side profile, seeing how content she is.

Her gaze moves from Dad's to my own. I meet eyes with her, sending her a genuine smile as she does the same. We stare at each other for what feels like hours, but merely long seconds. But the longer she looks at me, the more I notice her smile slowly dropping.