{2.1}

Disclaimer:

I do not own The Maze Runner, but I have been waiting for this moment for so long solely so I could say "twenny-wun" wow I am a sad human being

EDIT: why did i write that

-✼-

I am running. Running. I don't know where. It's kind of foggy; I can barely see what's in front of me. But I can feel air in my lungs and my arms and legs pumping as adrenaline pulses through my veins. The sounds my feet make on the ground are a click-clack, like I'm running on tile.

Footsteps pound on the floor behind me and I try to speed up but fail. A loud squeal escapes my lips as arms wrap tightly around my waist and I am being lifted off the ground, spinning in the air to prevent the momentum from taking both me and the person down.

"Help!" I shout in the seemingly empty corridor, but to no avail. I know that wherever we are, we're alone. I'm not scared. Calling for help is only an act in the game. "I, the Commander, am being attacked!"

"Mission succeeded," a familiar voice says in a fake deep tone as they set me on the floor. "Weapons stand down. We mean no harm."

I laugh and move my hair out of my face, turning around to meet my attacker. It's Newt. Somehow I'm not surprised in the slightest and a huge smile instantly lights up my face as well as his.

The features are a bit hazy, mixed and watery-looking like I'm staring at an oil painting, but I can still make out the details. He looks younger, face completely free of stress lines. His blond hair is shorter. He doesn't have a limp and his warm, brown eyes are so much more full of life. However, it's still the same Newt as in the Glade. But why am I seeing him?

"Troops surrender," I order, trying not to break my now serious expression. A smile is trying to force its way through the intimidating facade. "Soldiers surrender to the opposing forces of Team Newt—"

"Team Newt? Seriously?" Newt laughs, dropping the act. "That's the best you can come up with?"

"Well I'm sorry." I fold my arms across my chest and break free from his grip. "I guess someone is getting the silent treatment—"

"No!" Newt instantly panics and I know he's now at my mercy. "Okay, I'm sorry. Team Newt is great. Perfect. Genius. Now pleeaassee talk to me?"

His voice sounds so desperate and childish that I can't help but break into a grin. "Hmm." I tap my finger on my chin and pretend to ponder his words. "Fine. Rejoin forces with Team Newt."

And then I get an idea. A devilish smile makes its way onto my lips and I'm glad Newt can't see it.

"Actually...on second thought..forces retreat!"

And then I take off farther down the hallway, his surprise giving me a few seconds head start. He is chasing after me, calling my name in mock anger.

Suddenly I feel hands on my hips and I am yanked backwards. I almost fall onto my backside but am expertly spun around while still moving, and then his lips are on mine. And I'm not even shocked about that either.

I stand there for a few moments, enjoying his familiar touch as he embraces me. But then when I open my eyes, I'm sitting in a small bedroom. My small fingers are wrapped around the arm of a stuffed brown bear. I can hear two women talking somewhere in another room, hushed voices muffled.

I turn to see a boy sitting next to me, and he is looking sadly at the teddy bear in my hands. His dark hair is neatly combed and worried brown eyes watch me carefully. A word pops into actual-me's mind and I grasp onto it, not letting it fade away.