{1.4}

Disclaimer:

I do not own The Maze Runner, but Dylan O'Brien hasn't been confirmed for season five of Teen Wolf yet due to filming TST and I just

EDIT: HE IS NOW GUYS DONT PANIC

-✼-

My breath hitched in my throat. A dead Griever? What?

Alby's reaction was way different than mine. He looked like someone had told him pigs could fly. "Ain't a good time for jokes."

"Look." Minho was still very excited about his discovery, no matter how exhausted he was. "I wouldn't believe me if I were you, either. But trust me, I did. Big fat nasty one."

I cringed at the memory of the Griever jumping at the window. I cringed even more thinking about it being a big fat nasty one.

"You found a dead Griever," Alby repeated slowly.

"Yes, Alby." Minho was obviously annoyed at Alby's lack of an excited reaction. "A couple of miles from here, out near the Cliff."

Alby looked out toward the Maze for a moment, then back at Minho. "Well...why didn't you bring it back with you?"

Minho snorted. Apparently Alby's question was dumb. "You been drinkin' Frypan's saucy-sauce? Those things must weigh half a ton, dude. Plus, I wouldn't touch one of them if you gave me a free trip out of this place."

Alby was starting to sound like Thomas with the flood of questions that poured out of his mouth like verbal diarrhea. "What did it look like? Were the metal spikes in or out of its body? Did it move at all- was its skin still moist?"

I was disgusted with the image that came to my mind. My memory of the Griever wasn't as bad as they actually were, apparently.

"Slim it, man," Minho sighed. "You gotta see it yourself. It's...weird."

"Weird?" Alby echoed, confused.

"Dude, I'm exhausted, starving, and sun-sick. But if you wanna haul it right now, we could probably make it back before the walls shut."

Logic told me that they could definitely not make it back before the walls close. They had to run a couple miles, find the Griever, inspect it, then lug it back all the way here. If Minho's assumption was right and the Grievers really did weigh half a ton, there was no way they'd be able to make it back in time if they decided to bring it with them.

Alby looked at his watch, then up at the sun in the sky. "Better wait till the wake-up tomorrow."

"Smartest thing you've said in a week." Minho stood with the help of the wall, hit Alby on the arm, then started walking toward the Homestead with a slight limp that reminded me of Newt's. "I should go back out there, but screw it. I'm gonna go eat some of Frypan's nasty casserole."

Alby turned to Thomas with a sharp look in his eye. "If you know something and ain't telling me..."

I furrowed my eyebrows. Why did he keep accusing Thomas of knowing something? Alby should know that with all the questions that could come out of Thomas's mouth in a single day, he was just as clueless as the rest of us.

Surprisingly, Thomas looked Alby square in the face and asked, "Why do you hate us so much?"

The look that came over Alby's face was a strange mix of anger, confusion, and shock. "Hate you? Boy, you ain't learned nothin' since showing up in that Box. This ain't got nothin' to do with no hate or like or love or friends or anything. All we care about is surviving. Drop your sissy role and start using that shuck brain if you got one."