{3.4}

Disclaimer:

Me: *frantically combines 48382 chapters into one so this book isn't really freaking long*

Me: *fails*

-✼-

Alby looked almost disappointed when we told him something was different. I briefly wondered why, but then he said, "Cuz this whole shuck place is fallin' to pieces," then gave Thomas a harsh glare as if it was all his doing.

My lips pulled into a tight line, but I said nothing. It wouldn't help if I did. And just when I thought Alby was getting more likable, too.

"What do you mean?" Minho asked, ignoring the harsh look directed my brother's way— or maybe he just hadn't seen it. "What else happened?"

Newt nodded toward the Box. "Bloody supplies didn't come today. Come every week for two years, same time, same day. But not today."

Everything is going to change.

Teresa's words suddenly echoed in my head, making my mood even worse than it already was. I just wanted things to run smoothly for once.

"Oh, we're shucked for good now," Minho grumbled. It made me uneasy. He was usually so collected; the disappearance of the sun didn't seem to faze him. Or maybe it did, and he was only just now showing it.

"No sun for the plants," Newt said, "no supplies from the bloody Box— yeah, I'd say we're shucked, all right."

His eyes drifted to me, and while I stood strong and confident, I knew he could see right through me. He probably saw it by the slight twitch of the skin around my mouth, which was still down in the slightest of frowns. He kept studying me for a second until he finally came over and shooed Thomas away from my side. Newt took my hand in his, making my heart speed up as I felt the calloused skin of his palm against my own.

Alby's arms crossed and he was now glaring at the Box as if that would intimidate it enough to bring us supplies.

"Yeah, anyway, we found something weird," Minho informed, setting us back on track.

Newt raised his eyebrows when no one elaborated. "What?"

I cleared my throat and started explaining, Minho occasionally cutting in to fill in some details I missed. All the while I knew I had everyone around me's full attention, and I used it to my advantage by using up a full three minutes to speak. My hands grew sweaty but Newt still held on, squeezing at times for support.

Once I finished, Minho said, "Must lead to where the...ya know... Grievers live."

"The Griever Hole," Thomas added, and I couldn't help but snicker at the ridiculous name. Minho, Alby, and even Newt just looked annoyed.

"Gotta bloody see that for myself," Newt said, then muttered, "Hard to believe."

"I know," I agreed. "For once we have an idea about how this freakin' place works."

"I don't know what we can do," Minho said, looking perplexed. "Maybe we could build something to block off the corridor."

"No way," Newt declined with a swat of his free hand. "Shuck things can climb the bloody walls, remember? Nothing we could build would keep them out."

Just as I was about to start brainstorming, a commotion outside the Homestead shifted my attention away from the depths of my thoughts. A group of excited Gladers stood outside the door, shouting to be heard over one another. Chuck was amongst them, and he jogged over when he saw us. He wore a thrilled expression on his face, making me wonder what someone could be so happy about at times like this.