{2.7}

Disclaimer:

I do not own The Maze Runner, but seriously how long is this freaking book I didn't expect it to have so many chapters especially when I combined like six together wtf

-✼-

The bedroom door opened suddenly, but I didn't make any effort to move— mostly because I could tell it was Newt just by the sound of his footsteps. I laid motionless on my cot, my mind clouded over with thoughts. My hands were folded on my stomach, my thumbs tapping my skin to give me something to do.

Newt sat on the edge of my bed and took my hand in his. I turned my head to see him grinning down wearily at me with closed lips.

"Did Thomas get back?" I asked quietly. He had been in the Maze for hours, and I was extremely worried. What if he had gotten lost or injured? The Doors closed a few minutes ago. Was he still out there?

"Yeah, don't worry," Newt replied, making me relax. "Got back only minutes before the Doors closed. According to Matt, Keeper of the Sloppers, he ran straight into the Deadheads and hasn't been seen since."

I pursed my lips, let go of Newt's hand, and sat up, swinging my legs around so I was sitting next to him with our feet on the floor. "That's weird. Is he okay? Did something happen?"

Newt thought for a moment. "Well, I took him to see the girl—"

"You what?" I demanded with my eyes wide. "Why?"

"To see if she sparked any memories," Newt answered calmly. "And she did. Thomas said he definitely knew her from somewhere. He figured out her name— Teresa. Then he just went whack, sayin' he heard her bloody speakin' to him in his head. It looked like poor Tommy was going mad. He had his hands pressed against his ears like he was tryin' to block out a deafening sound. I dunno...it was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Then he just ran off, that slinthead."

I creased my eyebrows and thought hard. Thomas couldn't be lying, could he? I didn't think so. There was something off about that girl, Teresa. Or maybe it wasn't her, it was the Creators.

"Thomas wouldn't lie about it," I said, "I know that. Maybe...whatever the Creators did to them is the cause of this."

"They're messed up," Newt agreed, "but they've been helpin' us stay alive for two years. Why would they suddenly do something that jeopardizes our sanity?"

I stared blankly at him, waiting a few moments to respond, and I spoke slowly when I did. "Newt, in case you haven't noticed, they put us in the center of a giant Maze with mechanical monsters that try to kill us. I don't think they care much about our safety or sanity."

Things were quiet for a moment and I stared straight ahead at the wall opposite of us. The only sound was our breathing. Suddenly I heard Newt inhale deeply and then he asked, "What happened in your Changing?"

The question surprised me and I looked at him. "What?"

He was already turned towards me and he had a troubled look on his face. "At the Gathering, you said your Changing was wrong or somethin'. What did you mean?"

I looked down, thinking of how to explain that I saw myself, that I was in the room of the Homestead with them while not actually being there. How could I put it into words?

"Dylan?"

I had taken too long to respond. Newt placed his hand over mine, ducking his head down. He used his other hand to tilt my chin up.

"It was crazy," I found myself saying before I was prepared. "It started off with a memory...of...us..." I was getting embarrassed. But why?

"What one?" Newt asked eagerly, his eyes lighting up in excitement.