{3.3}

Disclaimer:

Gally: *pulls out gun*

Me: *mike wazowski voice* PUT THAT THING BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM OR SO HELP ME

-✼-

So many things had happened during my short time at the Glade, but I was not prepared for the sun to disappear.

I awoke to someone shaking me and I groaned, my heavy eyelids lifting and revealing a worried-looking Newt. I blinked to clear my vision, confused that it wasn't Minho waking me up. One glance at my watch told me it was an hour passed when he got us up yesterday, and my eyebrows creased.

"Dylan, get up," Newt urged with a worried tone to his voice. I sat up and glanced out the window upon noticing that the room was still slightly dark.

The sky outside the Homestead was not the usual pale light of morning, but instead a dull gray. Immediately I slid out of my bed, the rough wood cold on my bare feet as I pressed my face against the glass and searched for the sun.

"Is this a joke?" I demanded once I had pulled away from the window, still staring at the colorless sky with an almost angry expression. "You literally cannot just take away the sun. That's impossible."

Newt nodded. "I know. Every shank in the Glade is goin' whack trying to figure out what's happening." He sighed, looking tired and stressed, blond hair unkempt and clothes severely wrinkled. "Get dressed and meet me outside. I don't need you runnin' off on me, too."

He left, closing the door softly behind him. I heard his footsteps echo down the hall and eventually fade as he went down the stairs. I continued to look outside, eyes squinted in suspicion. Then I yanked the fraying curtains closed and began undressing, thinking hard about the sunless sky all the while. As I pulled a blue shirt over my head and paired it with a thin hoodie — it didn't seem like I'd be running that day — it occurred to me that I should probably talk to Thomas. Maybe that girl, Teresa, had something to do with it.

It was just a guess, but after all, the girl had talked to him in his mind. All signs pointed to freaky.

I kept my hair down, too confused to feel like doing anything with it. Flinging the door open, I ran down the hallway while still trying to pull my socks onto my feet and stubbing my toe on loose nails more times than I could count. I reached the stairs and jammed my feet into my own pair of sneakers as I went down them.

I found Newt waiting just outside the Homestead like he'd promised, squinting up at the sky. I jogged to him, head whipping around to view the commotion driving the whole Glade mad.

"Stay away from the others," Newt advised, eyes still on the sky as if he was trying to force the sun back. "They're goin' bloody insane."

"Well yeah, the largest body in the solar system just disappeared into thin air," I said sarcastically as Newt lowered his head to look at me. "That tends to scare people a little bit."

My eyes swept around again, trying to find Thomas. Most of the Gladers had abandoned their sleeping bags where they laid on the ground and gathered around the Box, pointing at the sky. Numerous voices sounded in the distance, mostly shouts of alarm.

Newt was saying something to me, but I wasn't listening. I was too busy searching through the thick crowd a short distance away for my brother.

And then I spotted him. Like the rest, he was craning his neck to view the blank sky in confusion, and I could sense the gears whirring in that excellent brain of his.