{0.4}

Disclaimer:

I do not own The Maze Runner. If I did, I would put myself in it and date Newt.

EDIT: tbh now i would date minho

-✼-

"Thomas!" I yelled, sprinting over to the boy, who looked as if he was about to collapse. "Thomas!"

I finally made it to him and grabbed his shoulders, breathing slightly heavily from my sprint across the Glade. But Thomas paid me no attention as he stared at the building in complete and utter horror, as if whatever he had seen in there had traumatized him. His brown eyes were wide with fear and his chin wobbled, his jaw dropped open in a gape. His hands shook as he placed them on top of mine like he needed to be grounded.

"I—" Thomas stuttered, his voice shaking as he tripped over the words. He took a deep breath and tried again. "I— oh my God."

"Thomas," I repeated, moving my face in his line of vision so I knew he was paying attention. His eyes locked on mine. It made me feel uneasy at the sheer terror in them. "Thomas, what did you see?"

"Ben," he replied, spitting the name out and swallowing like just saying the word brought bile to his throat. "I saw Ben. Dylan, it was horrible. He didn't even look human. It was like — like he was some kind of alien."

"You need to calm down," I advised, just like he had to me. His hands were sweaty and trembling on top of mine. When he tried to glance down, I moved so he was forced to look me in the eyes. "I'm here, Thomas. You don't ever have to see Ben again if you don't want to."

He nodded at my words. I took my hands off his shoulders. Chuck came trotting over, his curls bouncing as he walked quickly to us.

"Before you do anything, Greenie, you need some food from Frypan. Dylan already had some, so she can tell you how good it is." Chuck paused. I had apparently missed my cue. "Dylan, tell him how good it is."

"Thomas, the food is really good," I convinced him, but I was telling the truth. It really was good, and it had made whatever was left of the headache I had fade away.

Thomas shook his head, wiping his forehead with his wrist. "I don't think I can ever eat again."

I knew that seeing Ben, whatever he had looked like, made Thomas uneasy, but he had to get something in his system. I wasn't sure how long ago we had eaten before arriving in the Box. I guessed it had been a while, judging how fast I devoured the sandwich and bacon. Not having a substance in his system would likely only do more harm than good in the long run.

"I know you don't feel like eating," I said softly, "but you'll feel so much better. The bacon is amazing. Trust me, you wouldn't want to miss out."

Chuck nodded in approval at my words. "Get him to Frypan and make sure he eats and drinks something. I'll meet you at the same tree as before. Ten minutes."

As soon as Chuck finished his sentence, Thomas was walking toward the tree. I jogged after him, wondering what he was doing.

"I can't eat," Thomas told me like he knew what I was about to ask. "Trust me, Dylan. I think I'll just throw it back up. I'm much better off with an empty stomach."

I sighed in defeat. If Thomas wanted to go hungry for the night, so be it. I knew he'd be regretting it at three in the morning when he woke up from his stomach growling so much.

We leaned against the tree, waiting for Chuck. He was taking forever. Surely ten minutes had passed already, and there was no sign of the chubby little kid. Then, I spotted him over at the kitchen, ordering some food for Thomas. I nudged him.