{1.6}

Disclaimer:

I do not own The Maze Runner, but I do own all the tears I cried bc The Flash season 1 continued yesterday

EDIT: guys i don't even watch that show anymore lmao i gave up midway through season 2

-✼-

After that, I had to go back to work taking care of scraped elbows and bloody noses. My heart wasn't in it, however, and I was screwing up more than usual, which totally sucked because I had already been screwing up, but now I was doing it even more and everything was a huge, jumbled up mess. I couldn't get my mind off of Minho and Alby. Questions flooded my brain, not leaving space for much else, which was the main source of my problems. If Minho didn't come back, then I would be losing a friend. If Alby didn't come back, the Glade would be losing its leader.

My stomach was twisting in knots as more time passed. I was terrified, and I was doing a horrible job at hiding it.

"Dylan, you alright?" Jeff asked. I snapped out of it, noticing I had been biting a hangnail on my thumb and not paying attention at all. I sighed, removing my thumb away from my mouth.

"Yeah," I lied with a dreaded sigh.

Clint frowned, sharing a knowing glance with Jeff. "No, you're not. You know, it's dinner time anyway. How about you stop now, okay?"

I would forever be grateful for Clint. I stood up quickly, happy to be done with my work. "Okay. Thank you guys, really."

The two Med-jacks nodded in response and I quickly left the room, my head swarming with thoughts. I staggered down the stairs of the Homestead and burst outside, breathing in the cool evening air. It filled my lungs and calmed me down ever so slightly. Then I got to the Kitchens and noticed that the Runners were back. But Minho and Alby weren't.

Frypan and his cooks served a grand meal of steak, mashed potatoes, greenbeans, and hot rolls. My guess was that it was to cheer us up a bit and not have us so anxious, at least while we ate.

I found a spot next to Thomas, Chuck, and this guy named Winston. He had a tanned face that was completely covered with acne and his hands were shredded with dried cuts. Something told me he worked in the Blood House.

I barely ate a bite, unable to force the food down when worry was filling up more than half my stomach.

"I can't just sit here and act like everything's fine when they're still out there," I said, dropping my fork on my plate with a loud clatter.

"Want to come with me and watch the Doors with Newt?" Thomas offered, looking as frightened as I probably did. He had stress lines creasing his face and his eyebrows were constantly pushed together.

I nodded and we both stood, walking across the grass to where Newt's figure was standing. Not surprisingly, Chuck followed after us.

We found Newt by the West Door, pacing. He was switching from rubbing his lip with worry to running his hands through his hair. I found the lip thing incredibly attractive. Of course, I didn't say that out loud.

"Where are they?" Newt asked rhetorically as we approached. His voice was timid and strained. I knew Alby was his best friend, and judging by how long Minho had been there, I guessed they were pretty close as well.

"Why don't we send out a search party?" Thomas suggested innocently. Newt stopped and stared at him as if he just told him we should start mating with Grievers.

"Bloody he-" Newt cut himself off, taking a deep breath. "We can't, okay? Don't say it again. One hundred percent against the rules. Especially with the buggin' Doors about to close."