{2.8}

Disclaimer:

I do not own The Maze Runner, but if I did, Rat Man would have looked like an actual rat.

-✼-

"Hey Dylan!"

I groaned before I could even see the person who addressed me. I knew what was coming. Getting up off the floor, I started pushing the chair — the only piece of furniture in the entire room — toward the window. It made me the perfect height to see through the tiny window.

"What." It didn't come out as a question. I was beyond annoyed and honestly I didn't think my mood could worsen by much. The dark-skinned boy in front of me had a smirk on his face, and I could see two boys standing behind his muscular frame, waiting for the fun.

The boy started tracing his fingers along the bars of the window. I retracted slightly, arching my brow.

"Looks like you're all locked up," he mused.

I blinked at him. "Yes. Thank you for pointing that out. Because I clearly didn't notice it before."

Faintly, I could hear Thomas's voice from the other room. I glanced over to see his face in the little window between our rooms. "Dylan? Who is that?"

The boy outside paid no attention to the fact that Thomas could hear everything that was going on and continued the harassment.

"You don't even want to know what I'd do to you if I was in there, too."

I was absolutely disgusted, but I hid it. Instead I played along and looked at him from under my eyelashes, placing my hand on the bars as well.

"Well...you know what I'd do if these bars were wide enough?" I asked.

The boy smiled in satisfaction. "What?"

I dropped the act and gave him a cold glare. "Punch you in the face."

And before he could move, I jumped down from the chair, brought it over my head as high as I could, and bashed the legs between the metal. I heard a loud cry of pain and put the chair down, standing back on it.

"But I guess that will have to do."

The boy's friends were too busy caring for their friend who had splinters on his hand and bruises on his cheeks to notice me. I purposely didn't hurt him too bad because hey, I was a little humane, and besides, I was already in enough trouble.

Thomas whistled. "That been happening all day?"

I sighed. "Yeah. First time I actually hurt them for it, though."

Now that I was imprisoned and unable to hurt anyone — or so they thought — some boys decided it would be fun to harass me through that window. Instead of having time to myself to de-stress, I spent my minutes coming up with new insults to fire back at them.

I was seriously about to call Theo over and have him cut a little block of wood to fit into the window. Instead of it being a source of light and air, it was only bringing me trouble.

I was sitting against the far wall, staring at the ceiling, when Theo came with my lunch. I jumped up and raced to the window, pouncing on top of the chair and nearly falling off of it. I beamed at Theo, who was smiling at me and holding food.

"Thought you could use some cheering up," he said. "Sorry about everything."

"You heard?" I asked as he handed me a bottle of water and a plate of chicken and vegetables.