{3.6}

Disclaimer:

Hello, 911? I seem to have caught Newtitis. Please send help right away!

EDIT: shuck me. since i skipped through 95% of the actual chapter in tmr, i thought the whole ordeal at the end (of chap 35) happened downstairs. it didnt. it was in "one of the upper rooms" but oh well. it's downstairs now. enjoy.

-✼-

In short, Gally looked horrible. His eyes were raging with insanity, clothes mere shreds. He dropped to his knees and didn't move after that. His chest heaved with ragged breaths as his eyes searched the room. No one said a word. The fear and shock that filled the room was palpable.

"They'll kill you!" he screamed, spit flying from his mouth. "The Grievers will kill you all— one every night till it's over!"

Gally stood and walked forward. I noticed with alarm that his right leg was weighed down with a heavy limp. My hand clasped onto Newt's, eyes not leaving Gally even when I felt him squeeze back.

My heart thudded as Gally stopped right in front of Newt, Thomas, and I. He pointed to my brother with a bleeding finger. "You," he sneered, voice full of a hatred that was much deeper than before. "It's all your fault!"

His fist slammed straight into Thomas's ear. The latter cried out and crumpled to the ground for a second before immediately popping back up again.

Newt unfroze and let go of my hand. He pushed away the lunatic shell of Gally, who stumbled and crashed into a desk behind him. The lamp toppled off and shattered to pieces on the floor.

Gally straightened and swept his crazed eyes around the room. "It can't be solved. The shuck Maze'll kill all you shanks... The Grievers'll kill you...one every night till it's over... I ... It's better this way." His gaze landed on the floor. "They'll only kill you one a night...their stupid Variables."

I was too immersed in fear to speak - to even move - as I took in Gally's words. How had he survived that long out in the Maze alone? So many unanswered questions swarmed my head that it began to ache. A dull pulse of pain started up in the center of my skull.

I watched with fearful eyes as Newt took a step forward. "Gally, shut your bloody hole- there's a Griever right out the window. Just sit on your butt and be quiet- maybe it'll go away.

Gally looked up with a glare, seeming to be eerily calm all of a sudden. "You don't get it, Newt. You're too stupid— you've always been too stupid. There's no way out— there's no way to win! They're gonna kill you, all of you- one by one!"

His voice rose into a scream at the last word. Gally threw himself at the window and started tearing at the planks of wood like an animal struggling to get out of its pen. He had already ripped a board free before anyone could react.

"No!" Newt screamed, running forward to stop him from tearing apart our only barrier between us and the Griever outside. I finally snapped out of it and darted to help.

The second board had been disconnected by the time any of us could reach him. I ducked into a roll as he swung it backwards, the wood connecting to Newt's head instead. I watched in horror as he was sent sprawling across the room. Crimson droplets of blood sprinkled the floor.

Anger raged through me, blinding me with its red-hot claws. Before I could jump at Gally like I so desperately wanted to, arms wrapped around my waist and spun me in Newt's direction. I turned to see Garret pushing me toward the injured boy, face a blend of fear and aggravation. "Go! Help him!"