Chapter 44: Ghost of Withering Memories

You had stopped running a long time ago. Having given up the chase way too quickly compared to the other 3 involved, who had a lot more stamina and energy to waste then you ever did. For that reason, you simply walked tiredly across the street, kicking up dirt and dust across the road with your half hearted steps. But even that turned boring after a while, especially since you were completely lost and didn't know where you were walking at all. The lively streets of the city seemed all too deserted now.

You stopped, letting out a long sigh of frustration at the situation. That dumbass... He had left you the moment he had gotten a whiff of his brother. Not that you expected anything else from him, but they could at least make enough noise to help you find them. But nooo- all of them had suddenly decided to be quiet, an atmosphere you would usually beg to come across in situations these two brothers were involved in. 

Your conflicted mood was short lived, however, when you came across a green moss of hair hiding behind a pillar, accompanied by 5 other people you knew all too well...

You stood in your spot, taking in the surprise of not having found Luffy but rather his crew. As you watched them crouched down, glancing out of the pillar that stood between you, them and the street, you couldn't help but think back on the last time you had seen them. It had been a long time but nevertheless it was a memory you couldn't forget. Especially their expression of discomfort as you had laid on the ground bloodied and seconds from death.

-"What's going on?" Chopper's question pulled you out of your reminiscing mood, causing your gaze to wander back to their laughable hiding spot. Their location was close enough for you to hear their conversations, which worked in your favour; You weren't in much of a mood to start another conversation. You weren't the only one to notice the rapid shift in the streets atmosphere as a crowd of people moved about, stirring up a commotion.

-"Marines." Zoro stated, glaring behind the pillar, annoyed at the prospect of being involved in another chase. And his statement was confirmed soon after with the group's shouts as evidence:

-"Don't let him escape!"

- "After him!"

-"It's probably just some dumbass pirate running all over the place." Sanji raised his hand nonchalantly, seeming uncaring.

-"Dumbass pirate!?" They shrieked, and you didn't need any help understanding what they were thinking. All of you knew exactly who that was.

-"UWEEEEEEeeeeeeee-"

-"Halt, Straw hat!"

-"It's you!!" The crew screamed again, Luffy visible even from their hiding spot. Luffy stopped at their shouts, his worried expression turning to one of happiness.

-"Yo, Zoro!"

Zoro flinched.

-"Whoa, everyone is over there!" Not waiting for their response, Luffy began running over.

-"IDIOT! Don't come over here until you've lost them!!" Zoro shouted, but it was too late.

-"It's the strawhat pirates! We have sighted them!" One marine's shout began their reformation, guiding the others to the now discovered crew.

-"Hey what should we do..?" Usoop questioned, looking at the reorganized group with apprehension.

-"Our only option is to run back to the ship." Nami answered. Already having packed up the bags next to her she began to move.

-"What's taking you so long? Let's get going!" Luffy yelled out zooming past his unprepared crew.

-"Everyone fall back!" Smokers' shouted out, prying your stares away from the running crew. "The straw hat is mine!"