Chapter 33: Ace's Happiness

The dinner that had started off as a smooth ride to friendship had turned into a theater show. If it wasn't obvious enough, you were the character that needed to act as if everything was fine when your murderer was sitting right in front of you. The fact that each second felt like an hour of this clowneray wasn't helping you either.

You gazed at the mountain of food in front of you like it was the most interesting thing you had and would ever see, paying attention not to glimpse at the pair of eyes that were trailing over your form. It felt like the more you tried not to pay attention to him the more he was paying attention to you. You picked up the spoon, trying to seem busy.

-"Have we met before?" A voice reached your ears, cutting through many others to reach your side in a chilling fashion. Your hand flinched back at the sudden question and the spoon on your hands once again slipped between your fingers. But before the sound of metal hitting the floor could be heard, a skilful hand caught it midair, and placed the spoon on the table right next to your trembling hands. You glanced at Ace who didn't look back, wishing you could portray your appreciation for his fast reflexes.

-"No, I don't think we have. You must have confused me for someone else." You replied turning towards Blackbeard, who currently everyone knew as Marshall D Teach. You were glad that your voice came off casual. Teach continued to examine your face, seeming not to accept your words so easily.

-"You sure? You seem so familiar to me." he replied. You forced a smile in response and decided not to say anything. Why did you seem familiar? Did he recognize you? The thought made you sick. Suddenly he erupted in a laugh that was much more familiar than the smile he had been carrying since he arrived. Your smile faltered off your face.

-"I mean, it would be hard to forget such a pretty face like yours!" he joked, causing the people surrounding your table to laugh.

-"Get in line Teach, everyone seems to be interested that a new girl has joined the crew." Thatch spoke up jokingly. You chuckled nervously while hating the conversation and the man who had started it. Ace did not seem too amused himself, continuing to eat in silence as one of the few people who didn't laugh at Teachs' joke.

You glanced between him and Teach, uncomfortable by the fact that they were sitting so close. The feeling of distaste dominated you as you turned towards Ace to ask if he wanted to switch places with you.

Suddenly, however, Ace moved forward. Placing his hand on the table and resting his head on his palm, all the while continuing a heated conversation he was having with Marco. Seemingly too focused to notice your attempt to speak. You would've thought that he was unaware of your discomfort were it not for how he had changed his position. The sudden move had blocked off your view of the left side of the table and made it very hard to view anyone but Ace who was sitting to your left. It was almost as if his body had created a wall along the table, specifically between you and Blackbeard. You let out a breath you didn't know you were holding in, feeling much more comfortable once Blackbeard's analyzing glances and foul smile was out of view.

Upon your sigh of relief two black eyes turned towards your face, silently gazing at your stunned expression and peeking at your trembling hands placed on the table. You lowered your gaze, only now realising the close proximity of Ace's figure next to yours.

-"You know, you are much nicer than I thought." you said, leaning back in your stool and raising your head to meet Ace's gaze in the process. Ace raised his eyebrows in a questioning manner and turned towards you, abandoning the conversation he was having with Marco.

-"Oh? And you are much more secretive than I anticipated." he replied back smoothly, leaning in and closing the distance you had created seconds ago.