Chapter 17: Meeting the in-laws

All the marine guns were pointed at you whilst you stood up. You raised your hands, still holding the staff in your hand.

You checked your surroundings, looking for a way out of this situation, but your feet stood grounded. You needed the location of Shanks. You came eye to eye with Garp, his stare boring into your soul. The strawhat crew were watching the scene with interest, Zoro only now realising the pickle he had put you in.

-"Now, now. Let down that staff, Lass." said Garp. His voice was casual but his aura held utmost command. You smiled "I'm afraid that's a no-can-do. Your marines attacked me first."

The atmosphere was heavy. This situation could lead to something grim and you knew it.

You quickly looked over to Luffy as you both made eye-contact.

-"Luffy would you mind helping a little as your crewmate overthere put me in this situation." you asked. Hoping it wasn't futile. Zoro gritted his teeth, knowing he had made a dumb mistake.

-"Eh? How do you know me?" Luffy asked simply, but you could see him calculating the situation in his head. Shit. How did you know him? I watched your show? I'm your fan?

-"Oh. I- umm. I am...friends with your brother. Ace" you smiled. Happy to say his name in a conversation. Luffy immediately reacted, his face filled with curiosity.

-"Ehh! You know Ace? Why didn't you say that in the first place!" he looked pleased, eager to talk about Ace and his whereabouts. Even Garp seemed to relax with the mention of Ace as the atmosphere turned a little more comfortable. Damn, Ace is protecting me again without even being here. You smiled. Garp raised his hand, signaling the marines to drop their guns. But both of you knew he could fight you alone if he wanted to.

-"How is he?" asked Luffy restless to know about his brother. Before you could answer Garp spoke up.

-"His friend you say. What kind?" You blushed, almost losing your composure. What was this? Meeting the In-laws??

- "An annoying kind?" you hesitantly answered not knowing what to say. Garps laughter filled the room, clearly happy with your answer. You smiled as well, happy to meet Ace's family. "He is doing fine. He mistakenly punched someone and almost drowned." you laughed but stopped shortly after, turning serious. You had come for important business, you could chat later. You turned to Garp.

-"Marine Vice Admiral. I need the location of Shanks." you said, your eyes humorless. He stared at you with curiosity not minding the emotions your eyes held.

-"Just Garp is fine. However, I can't give out sensitive information like that to anyone. Especially to a person who just sunk my ship." You stared at each other as you grimaced. You had no other choice but to tell him.

-"Ace...He is about to do something stupid." you said, trying to keep your voice even. You faced Garp completely. "Have you heard of Blackbeard?" Garp's eyes widened. He looked at his surroundings, taking note of the amount of people watching the scene.

-"Come with me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been hard to get away from Luffy. The moment he had heard about Ace and had sensed danger, he had immediately stuck to you to get out more information. Currently you could hear him shouting from outside the door to be let in, only being held down by Zoro who felt responsible for your situation.

Garp stared at you as you sipped the tea placed in front of you.

-"Ace is a hard fellow. He is very thick headed and sometimes too harsh for his own good. But that's his charm you know." he smiled with affection as he talked about his grandson.