Chapter 20: A Blushing Mess

Ace sighed for the hundredth time that day. His sharp features flamboyant as his narrowed eyes and keen voice caught the attention of on-lookers. Many tried to catch a glimpse at him over the darkly colored cloth hiding him from view. Finding little to no success.

-"Hey! Stop or you're gonna burn the whole place down" someone suddenly shrieked, causing Ace to lift his head.

-"Huh?" His inquiry was answered as he looked up at the table that was currently on fire. Two women sequeled as they ran.

-"Man, people sure are funny these days." he said to himself as he watched the two women run off.

He sighed again, not paying attention to the people who had gathered to put his flames out, no longer busied up by his looks. After seeing the bounty poster he had been put in a place of confusion. But one emotion he could put in place was dismay. What was she doing? Why had she become a pirate? Why did he feel these mixed emotions when he thought of you?

Why did it end up like this?

He slammed the table in annoyance, his emotions getting the best of him. People jumped at his sudden move. He fixed his hat out of habit, placing it a little over his head, hiding his striking features even more than they already were. His dark hair making his face seem even more profound.

He felt impatient and restless. For what he didn't know, it was as if he was missing something big. He thought back to Luffy's snail call to him. It was unusual for Luffy to call but what surprised him more was the fact that they had talked about you. "An interesting girl." Luffy had said. He clicked his tongue as he remembered a man's voice over the phone. "Sav" he had called you. One of Luffy's crew mates.

He pulled out a piece of paper out of his pocket, as if the act could pull him out of his thoughts as well. Luffy had given him your number before he ended the call. The paper was smooth, as if it had been handled gently, which none of Ace's possessions had the luxury of experiencing. He looked at the paper again. He wouldn't admit it to himself but he was close to memorizing the digits plastered on the paper. He moaned in annoyance, his muscles flexing and relaxing under his tight grip.

-"Man, this is such a pain." Should I call her? What trouble did she get into?

-"This has gone on too long" he said matter of factly, as if the act of calling you was something he needed to check out of his to do list.

Before he could talk himself out of it he found himself typing in the content of the paper onto his snail phone, his hands on auto-pilot.

The phone rang dryly against his ear, pulling him out of his trance. What did he think he was doing? He moved to hang up the phone, feeling perplexed by his own actions. Just as the snail was about to come to a close, a feminine voice rang out.

-"Who is it?" you sounded breathless. Interest radiating from your soft voice. Ace stood motionless against his chair, hearing your voice again after 6 months. What was he doing?

He pulled the phone up to his ear, rubbing his arm to fight off the tense feeling in his muscles. His face slightly heated up and his mouth felt dry against his tongue as he uttered two simple words.

-"It's me. Ace."

________________________________________________________________________

-"A-ace..?" Your voice trembled as you spoke. This had to be a joke. You could hear slow breathing from the other side of the phone and a slight pause.

-"Yeah?" replied Ace, his voice sounding soft but firm. You felt your face heating up. This had to be a joke but it sounded very much real. You slowly slid down to the ground, not trusting your legs to hold you in place.