Chapter 49: Wrong side of the bed

Sav always dreamed.

And when she did, she always remembered. She couldn't stop it.

It was never a memory she wished to see.

Only nightmares that haunted the abode of her sleepless mind were present in her dreams. She didn't know if it was a blessing that it kept her from seeing happy memories that she could no longer reach, or a curse that she kept seeing things she never wished to see or imagine again. And that's why tonight, in front of the room she was supposed to be sharing with Nami and Robin, Sav was hesitating to enter.

It had been a long time since she had properly talked to people, let alone slept in the same room with them. Hence, no one had actually seen how she had trouble sleeping, how she woke up with panicked breaths in the middle of the night or how sometimes she cried, just a little. Sometimes letting out small names of people she knew, people she could remember, which had slowly dwindled down to a single person.

So now as she stood in front of the closed door, her questions jumbled up to form a confusing questionnaire, asking her what the best possible option was.

Would she have a nightmare tonight?

Would she have trouble sleeping causing the other two to be uncomfortable?

Would she make too much noise?

Unfortunately, before her questions could be answered, the closed door that stood in front of her flung open. Sav sucked in her breath as though it would help suck in all her anxiety. Nami's curious eyes locked onto her own, which she assumed (or hoped) were blank.

- "Oh, I guess you were coming in." Nami spoke up, with a happy and friendly voice. Sav smiled back with a similar demeanour, seeming calm and collected, just as a bad bitch should be. BUT WHAT WAS SHE SUPPOSED TO DO NOW.

Sav smiled even wider.

- "Oh, no! I was just about to head to the deck to do some night viewing actually!" Sav replied, with vigour, her energetic voice making it seem like she had never seen a starry night in the sky before. Nami didn't seem fazed, probably because she had someone eccentric as Luffy as her captain. But Sav didn't need to think about that right now.

- "Oh. Have fun then!" Nami said, smiling once again as she headed back into the room.

Sav sighed, slumping her back. Resigning to her fate, Sav thought maybe she didn't need to sleep tonight.

________________________________________________________________________

The diamond-like stars shining in the dark with the violet shaded night sky somehow actually did good to Sav, who was sitting on the floor of the deck, with her head raised up and her eyes open wide.

Back when she used to live in "her world" it would never be possible to see this many stars at night, even if one specifically looked for them. Once in a while, the stars would peek through the dust and the light to present themselves to the world and its inhabitants. Or maybe, it was only because she lived in a city. Either way, Sav had never seen such a sky. Thus, she felt that it was a good thing that she had decided to stay out tonight.

Sav layed down, closing her eyes and letting the breeze brush against her face.

Before she knew it she was already in deep sleep.

________________________________________________________________________

Everything felt oddly comfortable.

That's what Sav thought when she woke from her slumber. This comfort didn't come from the bed, Sav noted, which was comfortable enough but not the cause of her confusion. It wasn't the surroundings that brought comfort but the quality of her sleep that gave her this sense of ease.