Chapter Nine

*Part of the chapter does get dark and contains mention of a miscarriage.* 

Uma shrugged and grabbed a scroll. "Okay, let's see what's going to happen in this one."

Hades had to smirk as he strolled through the streets of the Isle, making his way over to Pirate's Cove. The sight of the underlings diving out of his path never failed to amuse him.

"It is rather amusing," Uma nodded.

"Yeah, especially when they literally dive," Mal chuckled and then paused. "Well, not when it's Smee."

"Smee's like the one underling who's harmless," Harry said. "Not to mention he treats all of us with respect."

"His daughter's your sister's first mate. Of course he treats us with respect," Mal shrugged.

It was, however, some of the only joy he could get.

"Well that and time with Persephone," Hades amended.

It had been five years

"Five years?!"

"Yeah," Mal shrugged as some of the AKs looked at her in shock. "What? Did you honestly expect Maleficent to just hand me back to dad? Dragons aren't really known for sharing."

She wasn't going to lie though, she was rather enjoying the death glare that Demeter was giving Zeus.

since Maleficent had stolen Mal from him and Hades had yet to see a possible way of taking his daughter back. That didn't mean he hadn't come up with plans; it just meant that all the plans he came up with were a guaranteed failure. Hey, there was a reason why Athena was the Goddess of Strategy and not Hades.

"So why didn't you write to her?" Demeter demanded. "My granddaughter—."

"Athena would only go along with it if Zeus was on board," Hades said in a matter of fact tone. "Even if I was just asking for help ironing out some holes in the plan, I knew my letter would likely go unread. If it even got past the post goblins for that matter."

"I think it might be time for the net again," Poseidon muttered.

"Do it and I'll turn you mortal again," Zeus said with a glare, having heard the mutter.

He'd even considered borrowing from the Trojans but there wasn't time to build a giant wooden dragon that would allow him to sneak into Maleficent's castle.

"Can we help with that?!" Akiho and Emir asked, looking more excited at the prospect than they had any right to be.

"Your friends are two halves of a whole idiot Benji," Chip whispered to Ben with a small chuckle in his voice.

"I know," Ben shook his head. "But you gotta love them."

"Oh there's no choice in the matter there."

Besides, Maleficent was a horrible waste of oxygen but she wasn't an idiot. She'd be able to see a trap coming.

"I thought most of the villains were idiots?" Audrey scoffed.

"You're thinking about the sidekicks like LeFou," Mal told her, rolling her eyes. "Believe it or not, there are a few villains on the Isle with a few brain cells to rub together. Unfortunately, the Dragon is one of them."

So Hades waited and waited, for five years; trying to come up with a plan that would work.

It never came.