Chapter Eighty One

*Special Thanks to LotusQuil over on Ao3/FFN for letting me use another one of their chapters from Adventures in Auradon in this fic! :D *

Shang went to reach for the scroll in order to begin to read. However, when he reached for it, it moved out of his reach. Frowning, he reached further only to find himself being whacked by a scroll.

"Could someone please grab this thing?!" Shang exclaimed admist his children's laughter.

"On it General," Emma said and grabbed the scroll. At her touch, though, the scroll seemed to calm down.

"...Guess the Fates want you reading this scroll," Neal said.

"Guess so," Emma nodded and unfurled it.

"...why are my sisters hanging around the corner constantly glancing at us?" Alexandria furrowed her brow in concentration. "They're not even supposed to meet me for another thirty minutes."

"Why are we acting weird?" Kitty asked Lucy.

"What makes you think I would know?" Lucy asked her.

Hadie angled his locker, the mirror on the door catching Alexandria's sisters indeed peering at them from the merging hallway.

Malinda chuckled and shook her head. "Thanks girls for looking out for Hadie, but did you have to make it so obvious?"

"I'm guessing you never said we had to be subtle about our looking out for Hadie huh?" Lucy asked.

"Oh, my dad, are you serious?" Hadie rolled his eyes and went back to organizing his locker, smiling as Alexandria dissolved into giggles.

"I don't see what's so funny about making sure our sister and her friend stay safe," Kitty said, shaking her head.

"This is what, the fourth time this week that one of our group's siblings have come around to just spy on us?"

"Not spy, but rather look out for our younger siblings I'm guessing," Rachel said, shaking her head.

"I swear I don't remember it being this bad before Mal and I got into that argument. I shouldn't be surprised though, she always did tend to go overboard with my safety or protection, especially back on the Isle."

"We live on an Isle with people who want to kill you! Of course I'm going to go 'overboard' with making sure you're safe!" Mal said firmly.

Alexandria held back a sigh and pulled at the short, poufy sleeve of her blouse from where it had bunched under the strap up of her bag.

"Ugh, I hate when that happens. It's so annoying," Alexandria said, shaking her head.

Her curiosity had been getting more and more of the best of her. The tiny hints in Hadie and her own siblings dodging any clarification of the obviously less than glamorous lifestyle of the Isle.

Kitty sighed and looked over at her sister. "You know what they say about what curiosity did to the cat right?"

"Yeah," Alexandria nodded. "But satisfaction brought him back."

She wouldn't admit it to Hadie, as Dizzy had asked her not to, but the younger girl had begun to share the horrors of the Isle now that they were closer through the letters they shared, instead of just the bare insinuations Alexandria had always been suspicious of.

Cinderella sighed softly as she heard that. While she was happy that Alexandria was getting to know her step-cousin, she wished her daughter would have come to her with her questions. Or at the very least brought Dizzy's answers to her.