Chapter Fifty Nine

Aziz sighed as he opened the scroll in his hands. He knew the reading had to happen but with how depressing the scrolls had gotten, he didn't know if he wanted to keep going.

There honestly was no delaying the inevitable, unless one happened to be a king who still attended school and tried to make time for his girlfriend that didn't involve official business.

"And Ben still managed to juggle it very well," Malinda said with a small smile.

Then there was a reasonable expectation for delay.

Benji shook his head. "There was no reasonable expectation for the delay. Peoples lives were at stake. Delaying was not reasonable."

It also didn't help matters that Mal seemed just as busy as Ben was.

Malinda sighed softly as Benji held her close. The sad thing was, those had been the days when her schedule was light. Natalie was truly just getting warmed up.

Okay, maybe not as busy but pretty close. Every time Ben turned around, Mal seemed to be attending a meeting about Cotillion or rushing off with Kitty, Jordan and Ally, or checking on Evie or sparring with Uma.

Malinda sighed. "And yet I only enjoyed the last two...no wait, scratch that, I liked spending time with Kitty, Jordan, and Ally. I just wish it wasn't necessary."

At least your Ben noticed how busy you were, Audie thought, lightly biting her lip.

It was for that reason why Ben was currently making his way to the gym two weeks after his talk with Chip, to try to see if he could get a moment with his girlfriend and talk to her about what was going on with the Isle.

"At least we know the truth now," Jay said, his voice soft. "So that way kids don't have to wait as long to see things improve."

He trusted her more than he trusted the reports he received...if he received them at all.

"Yeah, it's probably a better idea to trust someone who's lived on the Isle all her life rather than reports that can be manufactured," Uma nodded.

"Hey Ben," Akiho smiled and waved as Ben walked into the gym.

"Hey," Ben chuckled as he walked over to him. "What're you doing here?"

"Heard Mal and Uma were going to be doing some sparring," the blond said with a grin. "Jay texted us."

Jay and Harry grinned.

"It's always fun seeing two pros go at it," Harry said.

"Then why is it you never stop to watch me spar?" Henry asked.

"Noticed how I said two? With the exception of Uma, Jay, Mal, Harriet, and myself, there's no one else on the crew skilled enough to give you a decent spar."

"Us?"

"Emir came too," Akiho said, pointing to the raven haired boy talking to a younger girl who was off to the side.

Both Ben and Benji chuckled and shook their heads.

"Of course," Benji said, still clearly amused.

"Ashaki seemed interested in the whole thing, she heard us talking about it in the hall and followed us in."

"What's so bad about her watching?"

"Woo! I've made it in the scrolls!" Ashaki grinned. "And yeah, what's so bad about me watching?"