Chapter Twenty

"You know, I have to ask. How are we getting lucky to avoid spoiling the other scrolls?" Kit asked as he took a scroll. "It's not like they're labeled."

"You really think the Fates wouldn't have thought of that dear?" Cinderella asked him, giving her husband a small smile.

"Right..."

The months flew by and before Mal knew it, it was June and the day of her sixth birthday arrived.

Ben couldn't help but grin at the idea that he shared a birth month with Mal.

She didn't really expect much; Maleficent never really acknowledged it.

"Yeah well Maleficent doesn't matter much!" Phillip Jr. stated. "Who cares what she does?"

The only reason Mal knew it was her birthday was because she had asked Maleficent when she was three.

"...how did you survive before I joined your crew?"

"Sheer force of will Jay, sheer force of will."

Uma had asked about her birthday and Mal, being a reasonably innocent three year old,

Leah rolled her eyes at the idea that anyone on the Isle had ever been innocent. They were villains after all.

"Why am I not surprised you were involved somehow?" Jay sighed.

"Because we're inseparable!" Uma said with a grin, wrapping her arm over Mal's shoulders and pulling her close.

thought there had been no harm in asking the dragon the same question. Thankfully Maleficent had been in a reasonably good mood, having gotten the chance to torment the goblins, and so all Mal got was a terse response giving her the date.

"...I guess miracles do happen." Harry said, though he was in a bit of shock at the idea that Maleficent had answered the question.

After Mal found out, though, Uma and Harry had made it their mission to make sure they at least celebrated Mal's birthday the best they could.

Poseidon gave his granddaughter and her friend a kind smile, making a mental note to make sure they always had favorable seas if they ever got off the Isle and went sailing.

With the young Hook being a pirate, there was no doubt they'd be doing that.

Whether it was by trying to grab the freshest thing from the delivery barge they could or by snatching something from another Isle resident, they always made sure Mal had something on her birthday.

"You...you celebrated by stealing?" Jane asked. She decided not to comment on the delivery barge part, knowing it would likely just bring down the mood.

"Hey, it's their own fault for not keeping a closer eye on their stuff!" Uma declared and Harry nodded.

"That's how the Isle works," Jay stated. "If you want it you take it and if you can't take it you break it so no one else can have it."

Today, however, Mal woke up feeling a little excited for once. It was her first birthday where she had a parent who might do more than simply tell her the day she was born.

"Oh I can promise you Hades has something up his toga," Hera nodded.

Hades stared at her for a second. "...was that a compliment or an insult?"

"Yes."

"That in no way answers my question."

I mean, dad won't be able to do much since we're trapped on an Isle and Steph's stuck in Boredon but at least it'll be better than what the dragon provides, Mal thought as she got dressed and quickly scurried out of her 'room' at Maleficent's.