Chapter Sixty

Kitty sighed and shook her head as she prepared to read her scroll. Here's hoping it's not as depressing as some of the others have been.

Mal plopped on her bed, completely spent.

"I think we've all been there," Ashaki said.

That fireball that she had let loose after Ben gave that revelation had been bigger than she had been able to produce on the Isle.

"Makes sense, since she wouldn't be blocked by the barrier," Macaria nodded.

Yeah, they claimed that the barrier suppressed evil magic but there was no way to tell if a fireball was being conjured through evil intent or if it was just to keep warm.

"That's true," Jane said softly. "The barrier's all about intent but it's not as if it could tell the intent of conjuring a fireball was for evil or for a basic human need for warmth."

Besides, she needed a way to keep Zevon and Freddy at bay didn't she?

"Yes. And that way is called 'Harry and Jay'," Harry said, pointing to himself and Jay.

"Ahem."

"Oh right sorry. I mean it's called 'Harry, Jay, and Henry'."

"Much better," Henry nodded.

Gods I hope Gil is okay, she thought as she rolled over onto her back; having plopped onto her stomach.

"I'm sure he's fine," Harry said, shaking his head. "The last scroll didn't say anything about Fish for Brains being injured."

I'll check on him once I'm not so tired. I'm sure Carlos has him covered right now though, him and Dude.

I still can't believe I'm comfortable with a dog in the future, Carlos thought. Though...mom might be wrong about dogs. I mean, didn't mom say once that a dog's bark could deafen a person? And I've been around Estelle all this time and I can still hear. Though maybe it's over time or exposure to dogs?

Her exhaustion wasn't helped by Natalie's tirade at her being late to the meeting either. Apparently, having a meeting with Ben didn't matter.

"But Ben's the King," Lucy said. "What was Mal supposed to say? Excuse me your highness but I have a meeting with my handler who has a massive stick up her ass?"

"Lucy!" Cinderella scolded.

"My point still stands," Lucy said, crossing her arms.

A princess was never late to a meeting. Mal sighed as she thought back on some of what Natalie had said.

"But Mal's just in training to be a Lady of Ben's court," Ruby said slowly.

"True, but she's also a Princess," Rachel told her youngest sister. "Lord Hades is King of the Underworld after all."

"Call me Princess and you'll be eating fire," Mal said, looking straight at Harry and Jay.

"Of course my Lady," Jay smirked.

"You threw a dagger at her? A dagger?! What in the Gods name were you thinking? What if that had hit her?"

"...okay I can see where that might be a case for a lecture," Phil Jr. said. What? Audrey might have been the biggest pain in his ass since his grandmother but she was still his sister.

"Natalie, I...hang on, how did you even find that out?" Mal asked, raising an eyebrow. "It literally just happened."

"That is an excellent question!" Emma spoke up. "Does this Natalie have little spies around Auradon Prep?"