Chapter Twenty Seven-Kids

26th February 2015

I've been thinking about Dad again, a lot more than I usually do. Maybe it's because of the nightmares, he was always the one who would comfort me and calm me down when I was scared. It doesn't help that it's going to be five years on Saturday. It's been so long...

A group of six girls, probably around thirteen, spill into the shop, giggling hysterically and yelling to one another. Or at least talking really loudly.

"Omg, did you see him? He was, like, totally looking at me!" One girl with an American accent says.

"Oh he so was, and he was sooo hot!" The others gush, and she laughs, smiling. I roll my eyes. I've seen their type before-only interested in boys and bringing down other girls. Not the kind you would ever go looking for a fight with, they fight you.

The group stay in the shop for about five minutes, chattering relentlessly, before I get fed up of their gossip.

"Excuse me, if you're not going to buy anything, then I'm afraid you'll have to leave," I call over to them, sounding as polite as a bored person can. The lead girl walks towards me, glaring, with her little gang behind her.

"What did you just say?" She asks in a sickly sweet voice, attempting to appear innocent. I've seen it before, the 'I'm just a little kid' act. It's way too overused.

"I said that you have to leave unless you're going to buy something."

"Why would I buy something from here?" She smirks, venom dripping from her voice. "What sort of loser would even step foot in a music place? It's for nerds!"

"Well, one-you would buy something from here if you had the brain capacity to play," I start, beginning to get slightly irritated by her tone. "Two-you came in here, so I take it you're calling yourself a loser. And three-you know One Direction, that band you love? They go places like here, and trust me, they are not nerds."

This is how bored I am, I'm stood here sassing a kid.

"Who's a nerd?" Alex comes out of the back room. The girls face immediately softens and she flips her blonde hair over one shoulder.

"Oh no one. Definitely not you!" She gives him a smile and flutters her eyelids, which he frowns at.

"I'm sorry, but unless you're buying something, you have to leave." Her mouth hangs open. Clearly someone isn't used to being rejected. Not sure what she was expecting, she is a kid. He's at least six years older than her. She glares at me again.

"How did you get a boyfriend like that?!" She sneers. I sigh at her ignorance.

"I'm not her boyfriend," Alex groans.

"Nope, that would be me!" Sparkles* enters the shop, grinning as he puts an arm around me. Huh, I didn't think her jaw could drop any lower. She might want to close it, she'll catch flies. She storms out of the shop, taking her friends with her. The second they leave, we burst out laughing.

"I forgot how bratty twelve year olds could be!"

A girl around our age pushes the door open. She has long dark brown hair and matching eyes covered by square frame glasses.

"Hey, did a group of girls come by here? Loud, giggly, annoying..." she looks to us hopefully.

"Yeah, they left a minute ago. May have kind of kicked them out, sorry," I answer. She sighs and runs a hand through her hair.

"Sorry. I'm supposed to be looking after my sister, and she went off with her friends and I have to go get her home now and oh god sorry I'm rambling. Thanks for your help!" I can feel the awkwardness. "I'm Chrissie, by the way!"

"Cool, I'm Grace, that's Alex, and this is Sparkles*!"

"The asterisk is silent," he adds.

"The asterisk is silent," I confirm.

"Nice to meet you guys! See you round I guess!" Chrissie waves goodbye and leaves, jogging down the road to find her sister.

"She seems nice," I say.

"She does," Alex agrees. "The best is she didn't question why Sparkles* is Sparkles*, she just accepted it!"