Chapter 24: Time With You (Finale)

The heat grew worse and worse as Y/N picked up speed. Falling back down to earth, he desperately clawed at the silhouettes that fought further up.

'Dammit! I need to get back up there! I NEED TO!'  Y/N's mind desperately raced as he tried to will himself upwards to little avail. 'Ryuko's up there... all on her own...'  In his flailing, Y/N turned himself around to see the planet's surface quickly approaching him. 'This can't be it for me. This can't be it for us!'  Y/N suddenly felt an empty feeling in his stomach. 'We don't deserve this... we haven't even graduated... this isn't fair!'  As the ground quickly approached, Y/N tensed up even more. He wasn't unfamiliar with fear of death, but it'd never felt so overwhelming before. 'I can't die here... I shouldn't die here! I... I barely even got a day with her...'  Y/N clenched his fists as his anger boiled over. 

"We don't deserve this!" Y/N shouted. "We deserve more time togeth-"

Y/N woke up with a gasp. An empty feeling lingered in his stomach, and his arms and legs felt weak. He took a few deep breaths before slowly turning his head to look right next to him. Ryuko was fast asleep; peacefully lying there turned towards him. Y/N looked at himself a bit before letting out a quiet laugh. 

"Good grief," he chuckled, feeling more anger welling up inside him. He quietly got out of bed, trying not to wake Ryuko. He put on some jeans and made his way towards the balcony of the room. He saw the sun rising past the overlook as he sat down in one of the chairs & started taking more deep breaths again. 

"What are you doing up this early?" Y/N quickly turned, shaken by the sudden voice. Ryuko was rubbing her eyes, standing in the doorway to the balcony.

"Oh, nothing... bad dream," Y/N explained. "Did I wake you up? Sorry..." Ryuko smiled.

"It's cool," she said, sitting next to you in the chair. "So what's up?"

"Huh?" Y/N asked

"What was the dream?" she asked.

"Oh." Y/N hesitated. "Nothing."

"Is that why you're out here panting like-" Ryuko cut herself off. "Look, if you don't wanna tell me, you don't gotta." Y/N thought for a minute. The more he tried to keep himself under control, the more his anger kept rising.

"It was that rainbow haired bitch," Y/N spat. He took a deep breath. "She... just like a couple days ago, we were fighting her and she knocked me back down. I just-" Y/N felt his voice breaking. "It felt like that was it..." He felt Ryuko's hand on his shoulder.

"It's over," she reminded him. "She can't hurt us anymore."

"I know. I just-" Y/N hesitated. "Death's been a possibility my whole life. But then... I couldn't stop thinking about it, ya know? ...I Felt like I'd never see you again." Y/N took a few deep breaths. "I know she's gone, and I know it doesn't make sense to feel like this, but... I just can't help it..." Silence lingered in the air for what felt like an eternity. Y/N couldn't look at Ryuko no matter how hard he tried.

"C'mere," Ryuko said, breaking the silence and pulling Y/N into a hug. Y/N started to sob into her, letting it all out. "It'll all be okay... we just need time." 

"Wake up you lazy slackers!"

Y/N woke up again to the sound of a shrill voice. He rubbed his eyes as he tried to make sense of his surroundings. He was lying in Ryuko's arms in one of the chairs on the balcony. He looked up and saw Nonon, Sanageyama, and Inumuta standing in the doorway.