Chapter 27

Matthew was honestly having a great time with Erin. He didn't have a shift at the restaurant that night, so he was free and hers for the entire night. Well maybe not hers. They basically caught up with each other's agendas and reminiscing old times together. Together they would laugh at the happy memories they've ones shared. It was then Matthew realised how much he missed being with Erin. He'd forgotten how much fun it was to be with her and how happy they both get.

"I hate to admit it, Matthew." Erin said, finishing her laugh, "I am having such a great time tonight."
Matthew nodded and smiled, "Me too."
She leaned back and smiled. "So, um, do you want to... maybe... take this to my place?"

Matthew felt stunned. His smile disappeared as he licked his lips.

This was the moment. He could run with Erin now, the girl who he believed was his forever. Feather doesn't even love him yet. He was having so much fun, and even though he's moved on, he still misses her. Erin was the love of his life. He could go back to that life with her.

He looked back up at Erin, but didn't see her. Instead, he saw Feather's brown eyes, long dark hair, pretty smile and beautiful face. Then Matthew realized, he maybe having a great time with Erin, but that wasn't all that he wanted. He wanted an imperfectly-perfect relationship. Not all laughs and smiles, he wanted a bit of tension and question, unlike with Erin, everything was so sure. Erin WAS his forever, but Feather is NOW his forever. She may not love him yet, but he's keeping his word and going to wait for her to feel the same, even if it takes his life.

"Matthew?" Erin called, noting his trance.
He heard his name and looked up at Erin again. He stared at her and... he felt nothing. He didn't love her anymore. Feather was his real love now.
"I'm sorry" he chuckled, shaking his head. "Where were we?"
She pushed her hair behind her ear, "I was wondering if you'd like to give us another try."
He smiled politely and shook his head.
"No, I'm sorry, Erin. I don't think-"
"The past is the past, Matthew. Let's forget about what happened, about what you did, and just... try again." She insisted.
"No, it's not that." He said. "There's, umm, I already have someone. And, she may not be there yet, but I love her."
"Oh..." Erin nodded, looking down to her lap, feeling embarrassed. "I'm sorry... I didn't know."
"No, it's okay" he insisted.
"What's her name?" she asked.
"Feather." He found himself smiling wider as he said her name. Even just her name makes him happy. "She, uh, she literally helped me through my dark days. Erin, I'm sorry. It's just that... right now, you want me back and I'm at my best. But the thing is, she accepted me when I was at my worst. She got me back on my feet and gave me back a purpose."
Erin nodded, understanding. "You must really love her, huh? I can tell by the way you talk about her-straight forward, giddy-and she doesn't love you back?"
He laughed, shaking his head. "I mean, she likes me, yes. But... she's not in the love stage yet."
"And you're waiting for her?" she verified.
He nodded.
"Well," Erin took her wine glass and placed it near her mouth, "she's lucky to have you. I know one day, she'll realise it."

Matthew entered the room, finding Feather already on the bed, flipping through a magazine. She was wearing the plaid shirt he left here a few days ago, and denim shorts. She looked so sexy wearing his clothes. He couldn't help but smile as he just leaned against the wall, arms crossed over his chest and stared at her, watching her flip from one page to another.

She must have felt eyes on her when she looked up, seeing him eyeing her with adoration.
"What?"
He shook his head. "Nothing, I just... I love you, so much."
Feather got up, laughing, and placed her magazine on the night stand. She sat at the edge of the bed and crossed her long legs.
"You slept with Erin didn't you?" she cocked.
"What? No!" he swore.
"Then what's with the starring and the outburst of emotion?" she asked.
He shrugged innocently, "Because... I just do."
Feather scowled, refusing to believe Matthew's words.
"Whatever..." she sighed.