Chapter 17

Zac turned the wheel violently, sending it swerving into a different direction. The wheels screeched high as it made friction against the pavement. The truck stopped its pace at their sight, but Zac's car had already gone overboard. Feather screamed and held on to the handle above her. Zac lost control of his system and found the car sliding towards a corner of a street with a lone tree standing tall.

The sight of the tree was growing close at Feather's vantage, and it was coming on fast.

"Zac!" she called, hoping he'd have some ideas as he still struggled to make his gears work.

"Jump out." He said.

"What?" she snapped her head to his direction.

He started to work on her seatbelt until in clicked open. He leaned over and opened her door for her.

"Jump!" he ordered.

"I'm not leaving you!" she said.

He scowled. "Jump!" he repeated, pushing her out the door.

Feather banged her body against the hard pavement, rolling her body in painful gestures. When she finally stopped, she looked back up to see if Zac made it out. But she watched as the car hit the tree, crashing with a loud bang.

"ZAC!" Feather screamed.

She quickly got on her feet, ignoring the pain her body felt, running towards the wrecked car. But when she was only a few steps away, the surfer's car came back into view, rushing towards her. The last thing she saw was the blinding light approaching her before everything went a blur.

When Feather woke up in the hospital, she was alone in a ward. Tubes were stuck to her chest and a dextrose poking at the back of her hand. She had cuts and bruises all over her body, but the throbbing pain was coming from her head. Though, the TV was on, blaring out a rerun of Will and Grace, she was alone in the big white room with nothing but a big vase of roses to accompany her.

She slowly sat up on her thin mattress and eyed the glass of water on her side table. Her clammy hand took hold if the glass, but her hand were too shaky. She struggled to take a sip. As she plopped her glass back down, she heard a soft conversation happening from outside her open door. As subtle as she can, she took the remote from the table and lowered the volume of the TV. As she listened carefully, she recognized one of the voices to be her dad's. The other one must be the doctor's.

"You daughter seems to be responding well to the treatment, Mr. Heart." The doctor said. "It was smart of her to jump off the car before colliding with the car."

"What about my son?" Mr. Heart asked.

The doctor didn't answer straight away. It was like he was trying to think of ways to tell Mr. Heart the news.

"I'm sorry Mr. Heart, but it- well, according to the investigations, your son was only aiming to save your daughter."

Her father turned silent. Soon, Feather started hearing soft whimpers. Her brother was dead. Slowly, her own tears started to form.

Her relationship with her brother was indescribable. They were closer than any other brother and sister. She loved him and he loved her. Feather looked up to Zac in every way. He was smarter, funnier, more athletic. If anything, she knew he was her father's favorite. Maybe it was because Feather looked like her mom, but Zac was the apple of her father's eye. Zac was supposed to be the one who would take over the firm after their dad.

But Feather killed him. She should have stayed with him. No, they should have just stayed home for her birthday and watched FRIENDS on DVD, while eating a pint of cookie dough ice cream. That was their way of bonding anyway. But no, she insisted on watching the movie. She insisted on going to the arcade, making them stay out longer. She insisted to turn off the air-con because of her nose, rolling down the windows. It was all her fault. It was all her! Feather killed her brother.

{Sorry if you're hating this but at the end of the day, it's still a story and the characters need background.

Sex scenes will be coming back soon and more of them too.}