Chapter 30: Naraku Beyond Darkness

Yuki woke up slowly, her eyes opening in tiny increments as she made her way back to consciousness.

"Ah, she's awake!"

Yuki blinked, her vision slowly coming back, to see Rin leaning over her head to peer at Yuki. Behind her stood Sesshomaru, though his eyes only briefly met hers before he looked ahead once more.

As Yuki regained her bearings, she heard Jaken harrumphing in the back: "Well, it's about time! Honestly, the silly half-demon – aggravating her injuries like that!"

"You're just saying that because you were worried, too, Master Jaken." Rin noted as Yuki's sight finally settled normally, and Jaken snapped: "Be quiet, Rin!"

"Missed you too, Jaken." Yuki groaned as she sat herself up, and Rin brightened.

"Yuki! You're all right!" She cheered, and Yuki winced.

"Less shouting please, Rin." She requested, shaking her head to clear the last of her exhaustion.

Unfortunately, the action upset he stomach, and Yuki groaned as she felt a wave of nausea roll over her.

"I take it we're still near Mount Hakurei." She groaned, and Rin nodded.

"Yuki, are you all right?" The child asked in concern, and Yuki nodded, fighting the queasiness that the mountain's spiritual power was settling over her.

"I'll be fine now." She promised as she stretched a little, shaking her caramel hair out in satisfaction.

Even with the uncomfortable sickness she could feel from the purifying aura, it felt better to be half-demon again. Her eyes fell to her leg, and she was satisfied to see that the wound had healed itself, not even leaving a hint of a scar.

"I was worried." Rin informed the half-demon, her eyes troubled as she gazed at Yuki. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah. Promise." Yuki answered, and Rin asked: "Why were you crying before?"

"Hm?" Yuki asked, cocking her head slightly in confusion, and Rin explained: "Before you fainted. You were laughing and then crying."

"Wha-? Oh."

The memories returned, and Yuki flushed with embarrassment as she said hastily: "Don't mind it, Rin. I think the pain and loss of adrenaline made me a little hysterical. It didn't mean anything."

"Are you sure?" Rin asked worriedly. "You seemed really sad. And then, after you fainted, you were so pale and still for a whole day." She turned as she added: "Lord Sesshomaru was worried as well."

The little girl nodded at the demon lord, and Yuki's eyes automatically followed to where Sesshomaru stood not far away from them. Sesshomaru ignored them, though he could definitely hear them, keeping his eyes focused on the distance. Not that Yuki was really complaining – he had an excellent side profile.

... Wow, had she really just thought that?

Quickly pushing the thought away before it could make her blush with embarrassment and therefore give her away, Yuki stated instead: "Thank you, Sesshomaru."

"Hn."

She smiled, not having expected anything else from the dog demon, while Jaken huffed: "You should be grateful, Yuki. Lord Sesshomaru personally carried you the whole way."

"Really?" Yuki asked in surprise, glancing at Sesshomaru again.

She would have expected him to leave her on A-Un, not carry her. Yuki didn't get it: why had he chosen to disadvantage himself by carrying her on his only arm, and lowering his already weakened chances of a speedy defense should someone attack them?