Chapter 51: Blundering Truth

"You're red."

"I'm not blushing!" Yuki said defensively, looking back at him sharply, and Sesshomaru couldn't quite hide the tugging on his lips as he informed her: "I meant the blood all over you."

Yuki scowled as she replayed the memories from that time in the Inu no Taisho's tomb, and Sesshomaru's teasing. Even gaining an impressive attack like the Adamant Barrage and all the training she was doing with it couldn't shake off the burning embarrassment whenever she recalled the mirth dancing in Sesshomaru's gold eyes, though his face gave nothing away.

'He thinks he can ignore me one moment and then mock me the next.' She thought as she viciously chopped the fish for their dinner that night. 'Well, he might be right and I might be at the disadvantage because I love him, but I'll be damned if I let him win!'

A smirk appeared on her face and Yuki called innocently: "Rin!"

"Yes?" The child asked, looking up from where she was removing fish eggs from one of the fish Yuki had caught and later discovered had been 'pregnant'.

Yuki nodded at the eggs as she said slyly: "Don't you want to know how the eggs are formed inside some fish and not others?"

Rin looked down at the fish eggs, her face becoming thoughtful and she said slowly: "Yes... I asked Master Jaken before, but he said it wasn't my business."

"Well, why not ask Sesshomaru?" Yuki suggested immediately, hiding a smirk. "I'm a bit busy making our dinner, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind explaining."

"Do you think so?" Rin asked, perking up, and Yuki nodded.

"Call it part of your education." Yuki answered, smiling at Rin and hiding the mental cheer that she was doing in her head. "And be sure to tell Sesshomaru you were very upset when Jaken wouldn't explain it to you."

"Oh, okay!" Rin shrugged at the strange request but ran off blithely to where Sesshomaru sat against a tree as per usual, his eyes closed as he simply stayed guard over his wards.

Jaken had wandered off in search of firewood for once, so Yuki knew they wouldn't be interrupted for a while. Therefore, she sat back smugly and watched as Rin ran up to Sesshomaru, calling his attention to her.

And a wide smile spread across her face as Rin spoke, pointing to the fish as she asked: "Mi lord, I have a question: how do fish eggs form?"

Sesshomaru frowned at the odd question, glancing at Yuki and catching the wide, sly smile she was sending him. Instantly, he stiffened and Yuki knew he'd figured out exactly what she was doing.

'Revenge is sweet.' Yuki thought smugly as she just shrugged, turning away as she bit down on her smile while Rin persisted: "Lord Sesshomaru?"

"Don't be foolish, Rin." Sesshomaru dismissed, but Rin countered sadly: "Master Jaken sent me away without answering, too."

'Score 1 to Rin for the sad pout.' Yuki thought, as Sesshomaru paused.

"Ask Yuki." The demon lord replied instead, but Rin answered dutifully: "She said she was busy making dinner – why won't you tell me, mi lord? I want to know how fish eggs are formed. Master Jaken only told me that it is how baby fish are made. So then, is it like how babies are made?"

That sparked a different idea, and Rin asked eagerly: "Where do babies come from, Lord Sesshomaru?"

'Score 2 to Rin for her innocence!' Yuki cheered, forcing herself to keep from laughing at the expression on Sesshomaru's face. Trust Rin to be so innocently blithe in asking her questions – this was even better than Yuki had hoped.