Chapter 5: Sesshomaru wields Tokijin

By the time the morning sun had risen, Yuki knew her guess was right. Inuyasha had calmed down, and his own natural impatience was starting to make his muscles itch. If she just waited a little longer, she knew it was only a matter of time before he agreed to leave. There was just one thing left to be done before that.

Yuki moved aside as Totosai approached, letting the old master speak to her friend as Totosai began: "You certainly keep yourself busy. Changing into a human one minute," he huffed as he sat down heavily between Inuyasha and Yuki, "a goblin the next."

"I'm a demon, not a goblin." Inuyasha snapped, annoyed. "It's not exactly like I have any idea what's going on here."

But though his tongue was sharp, he settled down beside the old swordsmith, ready to listen and Yuki hid a smile: her best friend really hadn't changed over the last 150 years.

But her smile dimmed as Inuyasha's words caught up with her, and she remembered his changed smell. What could it have meant? And what dangers did it mean for Inuyasha? Because Yuki highly doubted that what she'd smelt happen - and what Inuyasha had told her of what happened with Goshinki – boded well for her half-demon friend.

"Don't you know what's happening?" Totosai challenged. "You really are dimwitted."

Inuyasha huffed in annoyance, but he waited patiently as Totosai went on seriously: "Myoga told me that you transform into a full demon when you're on the verge of dying."

Yuki blinked, shocked that that had been the trigger factor. 'Does that mean...?' She wondered.

Totosai caught her glance, and he confirmed: "Inuyasha, your father's demon blood is strong, so it's not too surprising that it happens since you are a half-demon of the same blood. But," he turned to stare at Tokijin, "if you ask me, your strength doesn't lie in your demon nature."

Inuyasha frowned, while Yuki leant in attentively as Totosai went on: "As I explained to you, the weight of the Tetsusaiga comes from the fang that I used to forge it."

Inuyasha's frown deepened in confusion, and Totosai explained further: "Originally, Tetsusaiga was forged from your father's fangs alone. In other words, you were relying on your father to protect you."

Inuyasha glanced at his sword at that, the words not sitting too well with him, but he glanced over again as Totosai went on: "But now, Tetsusaiga is different. Now, you must master your own fang, and you must protect yourself."

Inuyasha blinked, suddenly understanding, while Yuki frowned slightly. While the words themselves were noble and honorable – and really, she didn't doubt it was true – there was something... wrong. As though Totosai was purposefully not telling them something.

But she shook it off as Totosai finished seriously: "When you can freely wield this new Tetsusaiga, you will have truly discovered your own strength."

Inuyasha paused at that, looking down at Tetsusaiga now with a new understanding, before he and Yuki blinked as clapping sounded from behind them. They turned in surprise to see the others all gathered around as well, applauding Totosai's words and cheering Inuyasha on.

"That's right, it's just as you have said, Totosai." Miroku stated, while Shippo added with a nod: "Yup, exactly."

"You can do it, Inuyasha!" Kagome added encouragingly. "You've got the willpower! You can do anything you set your mind to!"

"Yeah, I guess so..." Inuyasha said slowly, but he and Yuki exchanged looks and they knew they were both thinking the same thing: 'Why does it feel like they're conning Inuyasha?'