Chapter 49: Inu no Taisho

At the border between the world of living and dead

Naraku smirked as he looked down at Inuyasha.

The half-demon and his group had been fighting him for a while now, and Naraku was sure that at this point he had all but won with the tainted jewel shard in his possession... when a blast of powerful demonic energy came right at him.

Yuki's jaw locked as she saw Naraku pushed back, unscathed by Sesshomaru's attack thanks to his barrier. He did, however, look shocked and a little bit unsettled to see the dog demon, so there was some small satisfaction there.

But Yuki's attention was soon drawn away as she really took in her surroundings. The land in the border between the Netherworld and the land of the living was filled with rocky hills and cliffs, while skeletal demon birds flew around in the sky. Kagome herself was sitting on one such creature, while Sango and the others sat atop Kirara not far away.

But most of all, what really caught Yuki's attention, was the giant dog demon skeleton resting amongst the remains of once-grand armour.

'Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father!' Yuki realized. 'This must be his grave, his final resting place.'

She finally remembered Inuyasha's story of how he had come to inherit the Tetsusaiga, about the fight he'd had with Sesshomaru in his father's tomb in the land between the dead and the living.

'That does explain why Sesshomaru was suddenly so interested in following Naraku and Inuyasha here.' Yuki thought as her eyes found Inuyasha standing, albeit slightly awkwardly due to his various injuries, just inside the base of the Inu no Taisho's remains. Ugh, that sounded so wrong.

Yuki glanced back in front as Sesshomaru paused just momentarily in his flight to look at Naraku, facing the demon coldly. Naraku tensed, and he definitely sounded less cocky as he taunted slightly: "Sesshomaru. Did you rush over to save your kid brother? Such a kind sibling, coming to the rescue."

Yuki scowled, but Sesshomaru seemed uninterested as he turned away and moved on, ignoring Naraku as he flew onwards.

Yuki glanced back once more time over Sesshomaru's shoulder, her white hair flying along with Sesshomaru's as she met Naraku's red eyes briefly. The pair examined each other for a moment, sizing each other up not unlike how Yuki had with Kagura just moments ago, before Yuki turned away and faced forwards once more; unlike with Kagura, her conclusion regarding Naraku was far easier to reach. He was vile, and needed to be stopped. Perhaps, today could be that day at last.

She sucked in a sharp breath as they approached the tomb, awed and slightly intimidated by the sheer size and grandeur of the Inu no Taisho's remains. It was an impressive sight to be sure, and she couldn't help but admire the late dog demon. To think this was Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father, whom she had witnessed only days previously, even if it was only an apparition...

Yuki squeaked as Sesshomaru abruptly flew down, heading right for Inuyasha.

"Sesshomaru?" She asked, confused, and she could see a similar bemusement on Inuyasha's face.

Sesshomaru didn't answer as he landed just before Inuyasha, stabbing Tokijin into the ground and abruptly dropping Yuki.

She landed easily on her feet even though she was still puzzled as to what Sesshomaru was thinking; before her jaw dropped as Sesshomaru's fist snapped forward and collided sharply and painfully with Inuyasha's cheek.

"Inuyasha!" Yuki cried as the half-demon was thrown back by the force of the punch, skidding along the ground and throwing up the many skulls littered around on the floor.